Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

screwed

• Please log in to reply

squirly

squirly

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
the other day i downloaded one of the new windows updates and my computer hasnt act the same since...well it hasnt acted at all. the first window pops up you know the windows xp and the litte bar under it that has the thing running threw it...then i get to a page that says something about a software download might have messed it up, a power shortage, or a accidental push of the power or reset button. so it gives me options to strart my computer in:
safe mode
safe mode with networking
safe mode with command promp
last known good config.
normally

but on ANY of those that i click it just resets..then goes to the same page and gives me those choices again! :tazz:

pleeeeeeeeeeease help me ive been waiting and waiting and well... :)

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try this

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;304449

pick a point just before the updates

squirly

squirly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
it gave me more options and after doing all of them it jsut brought me back to where i began

yardguard

yardguard

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
I'd say the Forum Topic may be accurate.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
These are other options

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;307545

You can use Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation, bottom of list

http://www.theelderg..._windows_xp.htm

buggs

buggs

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:tazz:

I am about as technology challenged as my cat. I can do alot of things with my "heinz-57" computer, but when it comes to figuring out why things aren't working right, I'm at a loss. Somebody suggested that I might be able to go in to the registry---whoa!!! :ph34r: That's a line I am afraid to cross!!! Anyway, my problem is one which doesn't occur consistently-making it hard as heck to pinpoint.

Sometimes I get the message " Windows cannot start because the file Windows\System32\Config\System file is missing or corrupt... and sometimes it boots right up. I have discovered that the original HD, which contains my master boot record, is sometimes 'not there'--and sometimes it is. Although I have tried using System Restore (it used to be my best friend), it will only go back a day or two-(until the last time that HD was 'gone'). I thought when I installed my 120G Maxtor HD that the contents of my drive was copied to my new drive???So are they both corrupt?

I have XP Pro w/ Service Pack 2 and when I tried using my installation disk it told me that the files on my computer couldn't be fixed by using those from the disk=or something like that. :)

I don't know where to start. My computer just keeps doing weirder and weirder stuff and running slower and slower. I run AVG Free and have not had any problems with any viruses and I have Microsofts AntiSpyware installed.

Could anyone PLEASE help me? Perhaps tell me where to start or what to look for.
I'm afraid it's going to crash at anytime, and I've put too much of myself into it--I know 'Back up your files' but it's not just the data and images,it's my time.

Thanks for letting me join in.

buggs :)

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Hello Buggs,

Next time it loads properly, click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD and get a blue bar, when the bar goes, reboot

It will be better if you start your own thread as all the information within an existing thread will be aimed at the original question.

Press new topic at the top right

Welcome to Geeks To Go

Keith

squirly

squirly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
still not working. the cd is just gettin spit out. and ive tried every option on the list, and the other list. it just restarts and takes me back to where i started.

squirly

squirly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
i seriously need some help here. im beggin you

squirly

squirly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
ive waited to see if anything would happen and nothing is...all the same things are happening and im just wondering if any body can give me more options? It's not taking any cd's (it never really did) it restarts to the same page, unless i hold f8 and then it just gives me more options and ive tried all those and it just takes me to the same page.