Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PS Guard won't let me run internet explorer!

• Please log in to reply

kelhoney

kelhoney

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi... I have the classic black warning screen and can't fix my active desktop. My son's picture blinks on and off constantly. I have read lots of stuff about removing PS Guard, which I'm sure would work, if I could access anything. :tazz: Everytime I try to open my internet explorer, add/remove programs, or anything else dealing with my desktop explorer, my computer freezes up and tells me my computer isn't responding. Before it got this bad I ran spybot, adaware, and cw shredder. Didn't work... I now have turned off my internet because I saw no need in paying for something I couldn't use. :) I'm using my Mom's computer to post this. I'm pretty sure I'm running the oldest version of 98. My computer is extremely old, but it's always done fine until about a week ago. What can I do to get my system to work without wiping out my hard drive. I bought a virus/spyware program, but my computer is so old that it wouldn't work with it. Do I need to get the internet hooked back up to fix this? I'm so frustrated and I just don't know what to do because hardly nothing will even run! :ph34r: ANY help would be SO appreciated. Thanks! :)

Advertisements

kelhoney

kelhoney

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I bought xoftspy to remove this stuff and it still isn't fixed! still have the black warning background! :) :tazz:

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
When the Win98 screen comes up during boot, hold down the F8 key and choose safe mode. You should be able to get into Windows and start uninstalling the malware. Then reboot into normal so you can access the net. Then go to the Malware Forum and go through their routines.

Excal

Excal

Malware Slayer Extraordinaire!

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
Hi Tyger and welcome to GeeksToGo!

You can't just get rid of PSGuard by uninstalling it.

If you are having malware issues, please got to the following site and follow all the instructions carefully.

You Must Read This Before Posting A Hijackthis Log

this will help you clean up to 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

Thanks,

:tazz:

Excal

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Hi Tyger and welcome to GeeksToGo!
You can't just get rid of PSGuard by uninstalling it. 

If you are having malware issues, please got to the following site and follow all the instructions carefully.
You Must Read This Before Posting A Hijackthis Log

this will help you clean up to 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

Thanks,

:tazz:

Excal

View Post

Yes, but he can't get to the site until he can get access to IE, and he has to start somewhere. He can't get to the site in safe mode in all likelyhood either.

Excal

Excal

Malware Slayer Extraordinaire!

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts

Yes, but he can't get to the site until he can get access to IE, and he has to start somewhere. He can't get to the site in safe mode in all likelyhood either.

View Post

True, but he can't fix it unless he get the necessary programs. So he will have to download the needed programs on another computer and transfer them :tazz:

:)

Excal