Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hijacked win xp System Information

• Please log in to reply

billg

billg

• Pip
  • 2 posts
WOW Has this been a [bleep].

This system was a xp install on top of a win 98 that was infected before the install. I did not do the install.

To start with it would not allow you on the net. I finely got up on the net thanks to some 3rd party reg check utility (pcrescue 3.0) and (Bug doctor). Once up I could not download xp updates and repaird that by deleting the update folders. Once I got all up dates then you could not down load within iexplorer without right clicking save as and when you tried to deleat a file on the desktop you would get a send error report that somtimes would referance:
C:\DOCUME~1\DAVIDF~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER7702.dir00\IEXPLORE.EXE.mdmp
C:\DOCUME~1\DAVIDF~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER7702.dir00\appcompat.txt
But those files could not be found so I just deleted that Temp folder. OK so far.

Because systim information was being redirected to xp help screen I went to start/run and ran ran system integrety checker. That repared the download problems but I still have the redirected system information problem. The file (c:\windows\prefetch\Msinfo32.exe) is evedently corupted because It takes me to the same place. Is that in the correct location?

I have done all of your sugestions in your I suspect virus/worm artical and have identafied and removed all identafied infections. All programs ran from same user within xp. I also ran in safe mode search and distroy / adaware. The system apears to be stable now.

I think I may be still infected with somthing.

Here is my log. Any help will be very apreceated. I have spent so much time that I would hate to blow the system away and start over.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 3:19:26 PM, on 8/14/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe
C:\Program Files\D-Link\AirPlus XtremeG\AirPlusCFG.exe
C:\Program Files\ANI\ANIWZCS2 Service\WZCSLDR2.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Osa.exe
C:\Program Files\D-Link AirPlus Xtreme G\AirPlus.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE
C:\Utilitys\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\blank.htm
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [D-Link AirPlus XtremeG] C:\Program Files\D-Link\AirPlus XtremeG\AirPlusCFG.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ANIWZCS2Service] C:\Program Files\ANI\ANIWZCS2 Service\WZCSLDR2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [THGuard] "C:\Program Files\TrojanHunter 4.2\THGuard.exe"
O4 - Global Startup: Office Startup.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: EPSON Status Monitor 3 Environment Check 2.lnk = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\E_SRCV02.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: D-Link AirPlus Xtreme G Configuration Utility.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: D-Link REG Utility.lnk = ?
O16 - DPF: {04E214E5-63AF-4236-83C6-A7ADCBF9BD02} (HouseCall Control) - http://housecall60.t...all/xscan60.cab
O23 - Service: ANIWZCSd Service (ANIWZCSdService) - Alpha Networks Inc. - C:\Program Files\ANI\ANIWZCS2 Service\ANIWZCSdS.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite guard - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoguard.exe

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Please go to the malware forum in my signature and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

billg

billg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I have done all that you sugest in the start here instructions before posting this. I will try to run all the programs in safe mode to see if it helps then repost in the mail forum if I still have problems.

Thanks