Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wired Networking

• Please log in to reply

trebor70x7

trebor70x7

• Pip
  • 3 posts
:tazz: I am running Win 98Se on one PC, and have just purchased an e Machine with XP on it. I am using a Linksys router, 4 port, and both PC's can connect to the internet. I have enabled file and printer sharing, have followed all of the prompts and just cannot get them to see one another. Any solutions?

I have a moderate comfort level, so be kind with your assistance, as you may loose me.

Advertisements

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
as u say both connect to the internet via the linksys router this more or less confirms that there ips are in range.

first thing to try is find the ip address of each pc, under xp this can be done by going start, run, cmd and then in the command prompt type ipconfig. you will then see your ip do this on both then in the command type ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx which of course the xxx will be there ip adresses so ping the xp from the 98 and the 98 from the xp, post back with the ip addresses and the packets lost\receieved and any other details that will be of any use.

Edited by The one, 15 August 2005 - 06:49 PM.

trebor70x7

trebor70x7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
OK I pinged both, the 98 showed the following:
Connection-Specific DNS Suffix .............. midsouth.rr.com
IP Address ........................................... 192.168.1.100
Subnet Mask ......................................... 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway ................................... 192.168.1.1

Windows XP was exactly the same except the IP Address was 192.168.1.101

Win 98 Sent 4 packets, received 0, lost 4

Win XP Sent 4 packets, received 4,lost 0
Round trip in miliseconds: 1Mls.

trebor70x7

trebor70x7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I just realized that Zone Alarm was active, shut it off and both PCs see each other. I guess the firewall on my Linksys will have to do the job. Unless there is a way to use ZoneAlarm and still have the Network up. Anyway thanks for your help.

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
yes zone alarm can be configured, however software firewalls are perthetic compared to hardware firewalls and as u have a router it will have a built in hardware firewall which is truely superior and if u use the winxp firewall on the xp machine altho if u have paid a nice bit of dosh out for zone alarm why not use it, the easiest way to do it is to put all the machines on the same workgroup (assuming they are not already) then in the zonealarm somewhere u can set that workgroup as trusted and then it will not interfere with that network, hope this helps.

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
I also have ZA is so much easier to just turn it off and go... ZA is actually a pain in the butt unless you have some above average computer skills.... learnd that by getting it for my dad...lol