Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

File links turned blue..

• Please log in to reply

pekebo0o

pekebo0o

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I've recently noticed that some of my file links have turned blue. I would say it started a few months back with only one or two blue links, but now most of my files have turned blue. I'm hoping that this sudden change is nothing, but I don't know what it is. I'm trying to clean my computer before school starts so I won't encounter any problems while I'm using it for school work. I've scanned and apparently, there is nothing wrong with my computer. I remember this happened a couple years back before I erm..crashed my computer and now I am slightly panicking. :tazz: Can someone please tell me what on earth is wrong with my computer? If needed I'll take screenshots of it. Thank you. =)

Advertisements

trouduc

trouduc

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

I've recently noticed that some of my file links have turned blue. I would say it started a few months back with only one or two blue links, but now most of my files have turned blue. I'm hoping that this sudden change is nothing, but I don't know what it is. I'm trying to clean my computer before school starts so I won't encounter any problems while I'm using it for school work. I've scanned and apparently, there is nothing wrong with my computer. I remember this happened a couple years back before I erm..crashed my computer and now I am slightly panicking. :tazz: Can someone please tell me what on earth is wrong with my computer? If needed I'll take screenshots of it. Thank you. =)

View Post

Your files are not breathing well enough. Maybe the C02 level is too high. Kidding... Have you tried resetting your color scheme? A screenshot not showing anything private would be useful. Although compressed files in Winblows Explorer can be interntionally blue, I don't think that is what your scenario is...

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Easy enough to check as to whether it is the compressed files or not. Click My Computer> right click on the drive>Properties> general tab

If the box for compressed files is ticked, that's probably it. You can untick it and see if your files change colors (may take a few moments). If the box is not ticked, post a screenshot.

Johanna

pekebo0o

pekebo0o

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks for the replies! I did what was suggested, but it seems that those weren't the problem and I am now posting screenshots. Interesting enough, when I went to delete some files I didn't need, when I checked my recycling bin, they turned back to their original color..

Posted Image

Posted Image

There they are! The first one is a folder on my desktop, the second is when I was opening a file.

Thanks again! :tazz:

trouduc

trouduc

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
START>RUN>DESK.CPL [enter]

Set theme to "windows classic"

You'll then need to recustomize to your liking the rest of the colors if you made any changes before.

pekebo0o

pekebo0o

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thank you for your reply. I tried your suggestion, but my links are still the same. Thanks anyways. :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
No, I'm sure Czarina is right

Windows XP compresses rarely used files in the background...by moving it to the recycle bin, you uncompressed it

In Windows Explorer, click Tools > Folder Options > View > Advanced settings: Uncheck "Show encrypted or compressed NTFS files in color."

--

pekebo0o

pekebo0o

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Okay! I tried it and it worked! :) Thank you very much for all of your help! Have a nice day. :tazz:

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Thanks for posting back with your solution!

Johanna