Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reinstalling Windows 98

• Please log in to reply

JohannaCedotal

JohannaCedotal

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I want to reinstall Windows 98 on my laptop. It is an IBM Thinkpad 760 EL and it has an interchangeable cd drive / floppy drive, so when I boot from the startup disk and tell the computer to use cd rome support, it doesn't detect my cd drive, causse the floppy drive is in. HELP!!!!

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Can you get into setup and change the boot order to cdrom, a, c? If you can then you won't need the floppy, you can boot from the cd. Unfortunately we don't know what kind of BIOS you have so we can't give much help on how to do this. Usually you get in by pressing the del or F1 key during boot.

You have a tricky situation so don't hesitate to ask for help.

JohannaCedotal

JohannaCedotal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok .... I think I've got into the Setup now.... on my computer, it's called "Startup". Is that right? Anyway, the choices are: FDD-1, HDD-1, Network, FDD-2, HDD-2, HDD-3, HDD-4, and PCMCIA. I don't see anything here that would indicate a CD-ROM drive. How can I tell what kind of BIOS I have? Thanx for your help

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Ok .... I think I've got into the Setup now.... on my computer, it's called "Startup". Is that right? Anyway, the choices are: FDD-1, HDD-1, Network, FDD-2, HDD-2, HDD-3, HDD-4, and PCMCIA. I don't see anything here that would indicate a CD-ROM drive. How can I tell what kind of BIOS I have? Thanx for your help

View Post

Unfortunately you're right. you will at least need the floppy to load the cd-rom drivers, you might try this, put in the win98 boot floppy, choose cd-rom support, when it boots to the command prompt put the disk in, type

D:\setup or D:\win98\setup

hit Enter and see if setup starts. The correct drive letter might be E: for the cd-rom, or even A: if things are really weird. Alas, you'll just have to fiddle arount till setup opens, unless someone comes along with an exact procedure. If something isn't working put the diskete back in without rebooting and enter A: to get back to the command prompt.

Good luck