Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

system won't reboot!

• Please log in to reply

razorback70

razorback70

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I've tried restarting my system, shutting it down, etc. No matter what I do, it never brings up my Windows password screen, never shows any desktop, the start button, or anything.

It's an older computer, but still functional. I've tried task manager, and it doesn't seem to help, either.

If I could just get my desktop/start button again, I think I could do a system restore and everything would be okay, but I can't get to that point.

Help!

Advertisements

Leurgy

Leurgy

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Can you start the computer in Safe Mode? What do you see when it hangs?

Edited by Leurgy, 15 August 2005 - 08:59 PM.

razorback70

razorback70

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
When I go to safe mode, it still tries to do a scan disk (after the improper shutdown), I'm able to cancel it, but it hangs up on the wallpaper screen, still saying Safe Mode, in all 4 corners of the screen....not advancing past it...

Edited by razorback70, 15 August 2005 - 11:36 PM.

Leurgy

Leurgy

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
What operating system is this? Do you have a boot disk?

razorback70

razorback70

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
It's Windows ME......no, I don't have a booting disc. The computer's about 5 years old, and the disc has been missing for awhile.

It JUST started doing this, on Monday......first time I've ever had this problem...

Leurgy

Leurgy

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Go to Bootdisk.com and download the Windows Me OEM boot disk. This file you download will create a boot disk so put a blank formatted floppy in the drive and open the downloaded file.

Put the boot disk you just created in the drive and turn on your computer. Start the computer, go into the bios and set your Bios to boot from the Floppy drive, save the change and exit and let the computer boot. When you get to A:\> enter the following command exactly as shown:

Scanreg /restore

This will allow you to restore your system as you said you wanted to earlier. You can pick a saved registry from a list. Pick one that was created before the problem started but not the oldest one if possible.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Win98 will only save the last 5 days worth of Registry Restores.. If this started happening more than 5 days ago, this won't help..

Murray

Leurgy

Leurgy

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

It's Windows ME......no, I don't have a booting disc.  The computer's about 5 years old, and the disc has been missing for awhile.

It JUST started doing this, on Monday......first time I've ever had this problem...

View Post

Thanks Murray but its ME and its my understanding that a registry backup is made every ten hours of uptime or 24 hours real time. Can't hurt to find out now can it?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
:tazz: Totally missed what they were running .. should have looked at their profile a little closer and read the earlier threads rather than skim over them....

Murray

razorback70

razorback70

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I'm not that computer-literate, so please forgive me for asking--what are "bios", how do I access this? Is it something I can get to on that computer, despite not having a start button and/or being able to access any of those menus (programs, documents, settings, etc.)?

Leurgy

Leurgy

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Don't worry about asking, thats what we're here for. :tazz:

The Bios menu contains controls for configuring your system. To access it you generally would press Delete repeatedly as soon as the screen lights up when you turn it on until you see a blue (usually) screen with a menu. Then look for Boot or Advanced Bios Configuration. Find the Boot order or First Boot Device and change it to the floppy drive. Make a note of the way it is before you make the change so you can change it back.

If this computer is a Compaq or HP or some brand like that you may need to press another key like F2, F8 or F12.

What brand and model number computer is this?

Edited by Leurgy, 17 August 2005 - 11:46 AM.

razorback70

razorback70

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Update: I was able to find my system restore disc(s)......I'm trying to do a recovery right now, with the discs......I'll post later, either with good news or asking more questions.:-)

I really appreciate the advice, guys!

razorback70

razorback70

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Leurgy, It's an HP XG834.......I appreciate the info. on the BIOS......I'll get back with everybody after trying the system recovery....thank you!

razorback70

razorback70

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Okay, I was able to find my system recovery/restore discs, and got the system back up. I of course lost any programs (most of them, anyway) that weren't pre-installed on my pc. So I installed Spy Sweeper & Norton AntiVirus on this one (they were already on my notebook)--SS is running fine, but I can't get the computer to run the Norton AntiVirus that I installed. Nor will it open the "high speed security suite" that I'd downloaded, free, from my cable company. Any tips on this? It shows both ON my computer, but I can't get either of these programs to work.