Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

formatting a ntfs drive

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

kapgladiator

kapgladiator

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello i want to format my hard drive which is ntfs and reinstall windows. I know that people would suggestt to do it through windows cd but somehow i don't have that option avaliable and it wouldn't show up so could someone please help me format my hard drive?

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

In order for the XP cd to work, you have to boot into BIOS and make sure the first boot device is set to the cd-rom..

Put the XP cd in and re-boot..

BTW, this will only work for an original XP cd.. If you have a copy you or someone made for you, then the install is totally different..

Murray

kapgladiator

kapgladiator

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
but is ther any way formatting a ntfs drive with a bootable floppy?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
NO.. Formatting and fdisking are DOS commands and DOS will not recognize an NTFS formatted system..

You need to use the XP cd..

Murray

kapgladiator

kapgladiator

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
thank you for ur help murry, i am optionless and clueless as to what i can do now beside getting a real xp cd. i am not a bad person i just don't have the
$

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Based on your reply, I believe you are using a pirated copy of XP.

The Forums TOS does not allow us to assist anyone using pirated software and for that reason, I will be closing this thread..

Murray