Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

turning off Office XP updater?

• Please log in to reply

delawaredrew

delawaredrew

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Is it possible to disable the auto updater for Office XP(2003?) ? I bought a used comp with XP Pro from a business for my mother and they have not come up with any disks yet. Office wants a disk to install the latest updates. Is there a way aruond this, or to disable the updater? It is a little intrusive and would confuse my mother and she would then annoy me.
Alternatively I have Office 2000 Premium and Smalll Business disks and could just install that and remove the 2003/XP package. Is the newer version that much better?
The comp will primarily be used for web surfing by my mother, who has little use for anything other than Word.
Drew

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
After you check the update there is an option to run if you have Office CD or search for files which should not require the installation source, these are usually bigger

delawaredrew

delawaredrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
I think I tried to have it search for the files, to no avail. I'm not sure though I'll try it again.
Thanks