Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CAN YOU MIX MEMMORY TYPES

• Please log in to reply

BrandonKeith

BrandonKeith

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
can you have more then one memory type installed at the same time.. i've got 1g of pc3200 and was looking to add a bit more since my mobo supports up to 2g. was curious if the mobo would freak out and start having issues, or if it would be ok.. was going to just buy the pc3200, but figured, might as well ask since i might try :tazz: overclocking my machine in the near future and could benifit from the faster memory..

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Just buy the pc3200, sometimes you can mix ram speeds and everthing is ok other times it don't work out so good.

Even if you get the faster ram the ram will run at the slowest speed ram that is installed in the computer

Also on some boards if you max out the ram it will run at a slower speed but in most cases the benifit of more ram will out wieght the speed the ram is running at

Rick

BrandonKeith

BrandonKeith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Well, as I was saying previously, I'm looking to probably OC in the near future and from what I've been reading, it can sometimes be pretty hard to OC the ram due to voltage issues that could if not done pretty carefully could fry the ram. I'ld really rather not spend money on ram that I might not be able to use or, god forbid, fry when I start tweaking things. That's why I'm curious if you can mix and match different speed ram, I understand that it'll just probably run slower then what it's rated at.. My friends comp has pc3500 in it which is rated at 434 mhz, but cpu-z shows it as pc3200 because it's only running at 400 mhz while PC Wizard shows it as it's original pc3500 but shows that it's running at about 398 mhz. Really trying to make sure that heat and voltage are not going to be an issue and that even though the ram would be running slower until I get into the tweaking, wanna make sure there won't be any conflicts with the different hardware during my wait. :tazz:

if it helps.. my mobo is an AsusTek PTGD2-VX with the Intel i915P chipset.

Oh, off topic, I noticed that you're thing says you're from central PA.. what part?

I use to live in Centre Hall, :) just north of Altoona, aobut 10 mins out side of State College. Just curious.

Edited by BrandonKeith, 16 August 2005 - 08:59 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well, as long as you buy good quality ram this shouldnt be a problem if you really want to overclock for your logic to work you would have to stop using the pc3200. Corsair and OCZ make ram that is designed and guaranteed to overclock to up to 500Mhz on the pc3200 stuff more than most overclcokers will need.

BrandonKeith

BrandonKeith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Yes, I knew that I would have to stop using the pc3200 when the tweaking started, but was figuring I could benefit from the extra ram until the tweaking began. But major thanks for the tip on the ram..