Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

restoring XP pro without disks?

• Please log in to reply

delawaredrew

delawaredrew

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
SO I got offered a "killer deal" for $400. A 2.8 ghz, P4, 512MB dell optiplex GX260 and 18inch flat screen comp running xp Pro that was previously used in a large architecture firm. I bought it and am now finding that there are passwords all over the place. To uninstall stuff, to unlock it sometimes, etc... I don't now if I have the time to really learn what I'm doing right or wrong here.
I've gotten myself into the admin position and thought I was gold after that but am now finding that there are many large network related things on here that I know nothing about and am beginnning to wonder if I should just start over with a storebought XP home OS and give up on this XP pro OS.
Since I do not have installation disks I know that a clean reinstall is not gonna happen but I wondered if I could get XP Pro to restore itself to new condition from the setup files or something like that. The lack of disks is becoming an issue for updates, and if it ever really crashes I know I may be buying a new OS anyway.
The main problem is my unfamilarity with XP. All in all it is now working ok, but this is supposed to become my elderly mother's comp, and I'm not sure about letting it loose on her.
Drew

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Even if there was a backup of a 'clean' xp pro on the hard disk in a hidden partition, it's useless without the floppy disk which kick-starts the factory reset routine. Or if the PC was originally supplied with a recovery cd, there won't be any backup on the hard disk at all. In any event, if it's a corporate system then the company would have had it's own tailor-made backup regime. I would buy a legal copy of xp, boot from it, wipe the c drive then install xp.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
also...go with xp pro instead of home...you will be happy with that decision

delawaredrew

delawaredrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
I thikn that for now I'm gonna stick with the pro on the comp and see if it gives my mother any problems. So far it has been ok for about 3 days. No more update issues right now. I'll be seeing the lady who is liquidating her company this weekend, maybe she has install disks.
But I'll keep my eyes open for a sale on XP pro in case she doesn't. I'd been thinking of trying my hands a building my next comp anyway.
Thanks
Drew