Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer freezes when reading/burning CDs/DVDs

• Please log in to reply

MuTLY

MuTLY

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello, I need some :) :tazz:

I have 5 IDE devices in my computer (4 HDs and a CD-ROM), and everytime I try to replace the CD-ROM (which is working fine, it reads all my CDs) with a DVD-RW drive, it fails on me.

Windows boots fine, it finds the new hardware, installs the drivers and so, ask me to reboot - I do it - and then it loads Windows again and everything seems fine... till I try to read a DVD or CD with it. Windows simply freezes. My mouse gets stuck, there's no response from the keyboard (the lights won't go off/on - ie. caps lock) and all that I can do is to press the Reset button...

I tried both LG 4160b and LG 4163b models (never had a problem with LG products) but they show up the same problem.

I'm posting my EVEREST log as an attachment in hope it helps a little. Thank you in advance and sorry about my bad english - it's still under construction :)

Attached Files

Advertisements

phua zheng hao

phua zheng hao

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
try remove some of your hardisk and other external devices and try your cd rom. if the system do not hang anymore it might be your power supply are having not enough power.

MuTLY

MuTLY

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Dear phua zheng hao,

Thanks, I'll try installing a new power source (mine's 450W), maybe a 600W one and see if it works. I'll get back to you with the results.