Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless networks disconnects

• Please log in to reply

K092084

K092084

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have one computer that is wireless it works fine and all, but about after a day or so it will disconnect from the network and will not show the network is there unless i restart the computer. I had this problem with a linksys router and would have to reset the router everytime. I bought a new router and everythign worked fine until about after a week of using it. The wireless card came with software to help find the network. Well after a day or 2 the little icon for it will disappear from the taskbar at the bottom by the clock. Noe the internet will work for say a few more hours but then it will just disconnect even if i am using it. It shows that there is no network, but when restart the computer everything works fine. Some have any advice for me.

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
If you are using the software provided by the card manufacturer you might try swirtching to the Windows based Wireless Zero Configuration Utility instead. I've included steps how to enable / add the service if its not there already:

The Wireless LAN tab presents the graphical user interface for the Wireless Zero Configuration Service in Windows XP. If you've run a setup program the vendor has supplied for their utility and the Wireless LAN tab is missing, it's likely that the vendor has disabled the Wireless Zero Configuration Service. This is because the vendor's utility provides the same functionality (and some additions) as the Wireless LAN tab. To restore the Wireless LAN tab, verify you are logged on with administrative privileges, and then you can enable and start the service by following these steps:

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, click Administrative Tools, and then click Services.

2. Scroll to Wireless Zero Configuration, and double-click Wireless Zero Configuration.

3. On the General tab, after Startup type, change the startup type to Automatic.

4. Start the service by clicking Start.