Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Can read, burn data, play music but not burn music

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi there

I've only tried burning a few music cds since I got this computer in November 2004, but each one has come out messed up and unplayable. It tends to happen that the first couple of songs play ok but then the cd stops playing or skips then freaks the player out and spins wildly.

I can burn data dvds and cds fine, as well as read dvds/cds and play dvd movies and music cds. The only problem the drive seems to have is with burning music.

I'm using CD-Rs (TDK Music ones) and it's probably irrelevant but it does it with both music I've downloaded and music I've ripped from my collection. I'm using iTunes to burn. There's another program in my comp "Record Now!" but I recall my attempt to use it was thwarted because it wouldn't allow me to burn iTunes ripped music. Perhaps that is part of the issue..?

Frankly after the six weeks it took getting a simple ethernet card fixed, I really don't want to call tech support again. Does this sound like a problem with drivers or burn speed, or a physical problem that will require me to argue with tech support for six hours? (Seriously, it took that long for them to believe me when I said "I PHYSICALLY BROKE IT")

Some random specs that may or may not be relevant.. please let me know if I need to provide more information. Thanks :tazz:

HP zd7000 laptop, XP Pro, 1G DDR SDRAM, Pentium 4 3.2 GHz, 128MB NVIDIA GeForce Go5700, 60G 7200RPM HD, 8x DVD+/-RW & CD-RW Drive