Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Some help with a Wired internet sharing please!

• Please log in to reply

Alsa

Alsa

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all. Long time lurker but first post, wonder if you could help me with this please!

I have two computers, I'll call them A and B. A has cable internet and B used to share it using 2 NIC cards and a crossover cable. Recently B was formatted and in tinkering with the network settings on A, i can't get internet sharing to work anymore!

A can see B, i.e when B is turned on or off I can see that a 'local area connection' has been unplugged etc. Now, my internet connection is set to 'shared' but when I click Network wizard nothing happens which is annoying but nevermind. So I need to remember what IP settings to use on each of the computers! So if I put my default gateway down maybe you guys can tell me what I need to put as the IP's and gateways and subnets etc on both computers? Thank ye'! OH and do I need to make a network bridge?

Cable connection:
IP address 82.42.x.x
Subnet mask 255.255.248.0
Default gateway 82.42.104.1

Thanks in advance!
-Alsa

Advertisements

chicagotech

chicagotech

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Assuming you are using ICS, the ics host should assign IP to client. If not, posting the result of ipconfig /all here may help,. if you want to assign static, you may try 192.168.0.2 (since by default ICS uses 192.168.0.0) subnet 255.255.255.0 and DNS should be your ISP DNS. this page may help too.

how to setup Windows ICSHow to Setup Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) ... To setup a win9x (in our case) as ICS client to access the internet, you need to do two things. network ...
http://www.howtonetw...Windows/ics.htm

Alsa

Alsa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Okies so I've got the IP on the network bridge on the host pc assigning it automatically and its setting it to:
Automatic Private Address
IP: 169.254.87.19
Subnet: 255.255.0.0

Should I even be using a network bridge? I've posted a pic of my setup in case :/
Now on the client pc the connection is down as a similar number 169.254.etc. Gah, networking confuses me so much.

I've used that ICS site before and nothing ever seems to work.. it used to work.. using the network bridge but it always took setting up static ip's and now it just won't work :'(

I've included a pic of the setup on the host pc. thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• GRRR.JPG

chicagotech

chicagotech

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
1. you should not use bridge.

2. 169 means you don't have good connection.

troubleshootingipconfig
Why do I get 169.254.xx IP? An error occurred while renewing interface ...
169.254.xx. Resolutions: 1) If this is XP, obtain the latest service pack for ...
http://www.chicagote...ingipconfig.htm