Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Quiet fans?

• Please log in to reply

delawaredrew

delawaredrew

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Anyone have any recommendations for a really quiet fan to replace the dell optiplex stock one I have now? It sounds like a wasps' nest living in there. The noise makes it hard to sit there and work.
Drew

Advertisements

ThunderT

ThunderT

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Do you mean CPU or case fan? If it is a case fan, what size is it?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
*Post removed*

Edited by ~Kat~, 16 August 2005 - 12:48 PM.

delawaredrew

delawaredrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
dsenette- sounds like exactly what I've been looking for

Thunder- I haven't opened it yet but it sounds like the cpu fan. I'll open the case later and verify.

Thanks

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
What Model Number of Dell Optiplex? - Fan Noise is complaint on the Dell. - [GOOGLE] - Dell Otiplex - Model # & read reviews.

Download FREE Home Edition of EVEREST at following Web site - Install & Run . . .Expand [COMPUTER] Folder and Click on [SENSOR] Folder to Monitor Fan speeds & Temps - Run Task Manager & Run an ANTI VIRUS SCAN to get CPU at 100% & Monitor TEMPS & look for High Fan speeds

http://www.lavalys.com/

This won't fix anything - but it will let see what is happening - & find more info on your PC -

Dell is a $$SOLE$$PROPRIETARY$$MFG$$ & pretty much hardwires things [ODD CONFIGURATIONS] so you cannot just replace with General OFF THE SHELF COMMON STOCK-

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 16 August 2005 - 12:56 PM.

delawaredrew

delawaredrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Jack,
no report at all under sensor on this Optiplex GX260.
My Dell laptop only reports on the HD temp with the same program, is there another way to monitor temps?
But upon opening the case it seems that the sound in question is actually coming from the HD which is a Western Digital 37 GB. Guess there is nothing I can do about that?
Thanks
Drew.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Yes - There are other Utilitiy Programs to measure Temps - & FAN Speeds. Maybe go to:

http://www.download.com

OR

http://www.pcworld.c...fid,7523,00.asp

Not sure if Laptops have any speed control associated with their motherboards or if they just go full speed all the time. I need to look into this . .I usually try to avoid Laptop Problems - mainly because I do not have one - I have no [STANDARD] for comparison. . .

Do you have any kind of Installation Disk that came with your Laptop?? If you do - then browse the CD for TEMP Utility - If not go to DELL Web Site and search there for one.

For these Utility Programs to work - Motherboard MFG's - Have to supply information - which DELL does not do very well . . . .

Sorry - That I can't be much help
Jack123

delawaredrew

delawaredrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Jack,
Desktop with loud fan-Optiplex GX260
Laptop-just out of curiousity=inspiron 8500
I think my last post was misleading. The fan in question is in a desktop dell optiplex GX260. I meant that I had also run the Everest on my dell inspiron 8500 laptop to see if Everest reported any data for the laptop; since it had not on the desktop. It didn't find anything on the laptop CPU temp there either; but a temp for the laptop HD was posted. 125 deg I think.
If the HD is the source of the whine, I can't really do anything, since I don't have the installation disks to reinstall XP pro on a quieter HD. I'll quit being lazy now and search for another monitoring program as indicated.
Thanks for helping,
Drew

Edited by delawaredrew, 16 August 2005 - 09:17 PM.

ThunderT

ThunderT

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
If you get Acronis TrueImage 8.0 (~$50), you won't necessarily need your install disks. It will make an image of your existing hard drive and place it on your new hard drive with all your programs & settings completely intact. You just have to hook up the new drive so that Windows can see it, and save your HDD image on the new drive and use the Acronis software to get it going.

I have doubts that you are mistaking a noisy HDD for a noisy fan. How about disconnecting the HDD and turning on the system? Do you still hear the noise when just the fans are running?

delawaredrew

delawaredrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Thunder T,
I was planning to give the optiplex to my mother but If I decide to keep this comp, maybe I'll change the HDD but otherwise it's not really my problem.
I opened the case to see if I could get a better source on the noise and it really seems to be coming from the HDD vicinity. The case opens like a clamshell and the only thing on the right side once open is the hdd. I'll try unplugging the hdd.
Thanks
Drew

ThunderT

ThunderT

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
I don't know too much about Dell's, but some cases have fans for intaking air near the HDD. I understand about dealing with trying to poke around one of those cases though...I had a bad experience once tyring to fix one (I don't do 'easy packaging' apparently)