Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Controlling/Reducing Tasks

• Please log in to reply

NCWaterfowler

NCWaterfowler

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Curious if anybody can help ID or explain how I can reduce unneccessary tasks in order to free up some of my memory. :)

Any incite/advice is appreciated. Thanks!

:tazz:

Here's the tasklist.

Posted Image

Thanks in advance! :)

Advertisements

NCWaterfowler

NCWaterfowler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Anyone, anyone..... :tazz:

yardguard

yardguard

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Assuming you have WINXP.....

IMO It's best to take a snapshot of the startup tab under msconfig...but that's just my opinion....

Anyway, personally I would get rid of all startup proggies with msconfig.......
Start/Run type "msconfig" without quotes...click ok...go to startup tab...there you will most likely see every one of those extra background processes...uncheck the ones you don't want to start and reboot.

The only ones I see that you may want to keep is your virus software(McAfee)...If you do want to keep your virus software running just look at the path info of the proggie and there should be a McAfee reference...If not then uncheck all of them.

Most software that is needed to for the system or hardware is usually in the form of a service and not a startup proggie. In my experience most startup proggies can be eliminated immediately without repercussions.

If indeed you experience something not working correctly afterwards it's as simple as going back to the msconfig and rechecking proggies that may be needed....rebooting...and the programs will be active at startup again.

HTH

NCWaterfowler

NCWaterfowler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Win 2K Pro here. (Look below screen name for sys info) I guess I probably should have mentioned that I tried that recently as suggested by someone, but when I do that it tells me that it:

"Cannot find the file 'misconfig' (or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available."

:)

I really would like to clear up some memory, but not sure where to turn.... :tazz:

yardguard

yardguard

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
On a Computer That Runs Windows 2000
Windows 2000 has two separate Run policies: • Windows 2000 Run at Startup policy
• Windows 2000 Legacy Run at Startup policy
Windows 2000 Professional and Windows 2000 Server use these policies. The Windows 2000 Run at Startup policy is similar to the other Windows family of operating systems.

To modify this list: 1. Open the Microsoft Management Console (MMC), and then add the Group Policy snap-in.
2. Click Local Computer Policy, click Computer Configuration, and then click Administrative Templates.
3. Click the System object, double-click Run these programs at user logon in the list of Local System policies in the right pane, and then click either Enable, Disable, or Not Configure.
To modify the list, you must enable the policy, and then click Show to modify the list of programs to run at Startup. A list of these files can be found in the registry under the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer\Run

The second Run policy involves legacy programs. Many third-party programs such as RealAudio can be included in this category. These programs use a different registry key to configure the program to run at Startup. This registry key (the same registry key that Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows NT use) is located at:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

-or-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
Programs that are configured to run at Startup from this registry key are considered legacy programs.

Windows 2000 does not enable you modify this list directly from the MMC Group Policy snap-in. Windows 2000 only enable you to enable or disable this entire list. To do this, go to the object in the MMC that contains the "Run these programs at user logon" policy. This is explained in the preceding section. Then find the policy called "Disable legacy run list". If you do not want any of your legacy programs to run, you can enable this policy.

EDIT:

Also here's a link for a free utility to control startup proggies....May be easier this way....The above was copied from MS site.

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

HTH

Edited by yardguard, 18 August 2005 - 03:31 AM.