Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gateway 2000 Colorbook Laptop

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

boylin

boylin

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hi,
I need help on a gateway 2000 colorbook laptop, i got it free and it starts ok with the memory scan and it boots so far to the point where it says floppy disk fault --insert valid boot disk and press any key.
Please help. Michael

Attached Thumbnails

• PDR_0001.JPG
  • PDR_0002.JPG
  • PDR_0003.JPG

Edited by boylin, 16 August 2005 - 09:51 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if the machine actually doesn't have an o/s you would need a valid o/s disk....does the laptop have a floppy drive? cd drive? if so make sure there arent any disks in them

boylin

boylin

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hi again the laptop does not have any floppy disks in it and does not have any cd drive. i have 8 windows 3.11 floppy disks and 2 dos 6.2 disks. please tell me how to install them

Attached Thumbnails

• PDR_0005.JPG
  • PDR_0006.JPG

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
oh my......i haven't installed 3.1 in quite some time.....you should submit those to a museum....uh...i'll do some research

boylin

boylin

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
hi is there any more photos of the laptop you would need and i dont think i made it clear but it does have a floppy drive but no disks in it. michael

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
no...i've asked for some help installing 3.1....it's been a while since ive done it

boylin

boylin

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
i also dont have a floppy on my computer that works it is a modern one

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well as far as i remeber you put in disk one and start from there, bit it was a very very long time ago i was like 9 years old the last time and my uncle upgraded my pc to 95 with a cd rom about a week later so i have never tried it since. Most pcs that could run 3.1 were able to run 95 without much hassle so you could try that instead the installation process is more akin to what you would be used to.
You could probably sell that thing for a decent price as computer history.

boylin

boylin

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
thanks for that is there any chance of telling me where i can download 95 on floppydisks so i can put it on my flash drive and copy it to a computer that has a floppy drive

michael

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
I started out with Windows 3.1 on my first 486 in 1994. First you need a floppy disk drive -- no way round that since DOS/3.1 was only ever supplied on floppy disks. you install the DOS disks first in numerical order, followed by the Windows disks. For both DOS and Windows install, you will automatically be prompted to put in the next disk at the appropriate time. To initiate setup just boot from disk 1 and it should start setup automatically.

Advertisements

boylin

boylin

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
hi i have installed windows 3.11 and system reboots and comes up with a black background and says c:\
as in command prompt. but no sign of windows 3.11 at all

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
did you install all of the disks or just the dos ones? sounds like all you have is dos

boylin

boylin

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
i have installed all 7 of the disks

Leurgy

Leurgy

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
I can think of a couple of things to try. You may need to load the 3 6.2 Dos disks before the 8 3.1 disks but before you do that, when you get to C:\> try typing in:

win

boylin

boylin

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
hi again how do i install dos 6.2 i dont know hot to get it started