Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gateway 2000 Colorbook Laptop

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Leurgy

Leurgy

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Ok. Thats good information. Now we know what you are dealing with. Lets try putting the Dos 6.2 disk 1 in there and booting from that. What happens then?

Advertisements

boylin

boylin

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
i have created a boot disk of win 95 from bootdisk.com and i boot off it and it says disk I/0 error
replace the disk, and then press any key.

boylin

boylin

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
i put the dos 6.2 disk 1 in and it saya booting frm removable media
starting MS-DOS.data error reading drive a
abort, retry, ignore, fail?

Leurgy

Leurgy

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
I hate to say it but it sounds like the floppy drive is dead or dying. Can you go to bootdisk.com and make a Dos 6.2 boot disk?

boylin

boylin

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
i dont have a boot disk on any of my pcs

Leurgy

Leurgy

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

i put the dos 6.2 disk 1 in and it saya booting frm removable media
starting MS-DOS.data error reading drive a
abort, retry, ignore, fail?

Try pressing R (for retry) a couple of times them press F (for fail). Sometimes that works.

boylin

boylin

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
no sorry that does not work

Leurgy

Leurgy

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Can you replace the floppy drive? They are pretty cheap to buy. If you do that you should take the old one out and look at the coonections but they are most likely still the same.

boylin

boylin

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
i have just tried installing windows 3.11 again and this time it works and loads properly and i am on it now but the mouse is really stickey what should i do it hardley moves

boylin

boylin

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
also when i open windows media player it opens an error message as there are no MCI device driver installed on your system. use the drivers option in control panel to install MCI device drivers. what do i need to do

Advertisements

Leurgy

Leurgy

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Right on. Good job!

Take the ball out of the mouse underneath and you will see two rollers. Clean those as there is probably some dirt built up. If you take it completely apart make sure you ground yourself by touching something metal to get rid of static in your body so you don't fry the chips. If you do take it apart its best not to touch the circuit board at all.

boylin

boylin

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
the mouse slides out from underneath the laptop as in the first picture i sent you on page 1

Leurgy

Leurgy

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Go to Control Panel and see if you can find the Audio device, Sound or whatever and look for update driver or some such. But you may have a really hard time finding 3.1 drivers for that.

boylin

boylin

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
what should i do about the mouse then

Leurgy

Leurgy

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Same thing. Try rotating the collar around the ball to remove it and clean the rollers. They look like plastic rods. I scrape them very gently with a small sharp knife.