Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cpu thermal grease

• Please log in to reply

nost

nost

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
hi, i bought some cpu thermal grease and it came this morning and i think i put a bit too much on will it effect my processor

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

It will run hotter than it is supposed to..

When it comes to thermal paste, "Just a dab will do ya" !!

Murray

nost

nost

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
will it lack in performance

nost

nost

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
how i get it off so i can put new paste on

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Use some rubbing alcohol and a cotton swab.. Clean it carefully and let it dry..

Murray

nost

nost

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
ive just got as much as i could off with a dry cloth it seems to be clean enough then i put a little dab on but seeming has murray s bocked me sending any more messages to him for asking for help which this site is made for!!! i dont know if it is right so if anybody knows then i would be grateful for the advice thanks in advance nost.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

ive just got as much as i could off with a dry cloth it seems to be clean enough then i put a little dab on but seeming has murray s bocked me sending any more messages to him for asking for help which this site is made for!!! i dont know if it is right so if anybody knows then i would be grateful for the advice thanks in advance nost.

View Post

No, I just blocked you from PM'ing me.. Even after I asked you not to and to post your replies in the thread and not via PM!!!

Use the rubbing alcohol as I suggested .. then, place a small drop on the centre of the heatsink and use a credit card (or something similiar) to spread it around..

Murray

nost

nost

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
i have cleaned the processor and i have put a little bit on and spreaded it out and it seems to be working fine but i have heard if you put too much on it fries the CPU

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
It won't fry it but it won't do what it should either.. The CPU will run hotter if there is to much but most newer systems will shutdown if the CPU becomes too hot in order to protect the CPU..

Murray

nost

nost

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
my computer is quite new but i have got as much as i can off and the rest thatv is on iss al dry and ive heard off seversl people that it can fry your CPU

Advertisements

nost

nost

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
so will that be alright now then

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

my computer is quite new but i have got as much as i can off and the rest thatv is on iss al dry

View Post

That's why you use the rubbing alcohol.. to soften it up..

And, enough with the "fry the CPU" kick okay.. Not going to happen !!!

Murray

nost

nost

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
well other people including proffesionals off this site have said it will fry the CPU and ive only just finished cleaning it and i cant be bothered to take it all back out then put alcohol on and clean it again im just going to leave if the CPU gets hot will it lack in performance in games

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Yes.. and it will lock up and shut the system down as well..

well other people including proffesionals off this site have said it will fry the CPU

View Post

Can you provide me with links to those threads?? I would like to see those..

Murray

nost

nost

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
lock up?????