Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Disk Erroro

• Please log in to reply

Neil Kalmanson

Neil Kalmanson

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Every time I boot up I get a message: "Windows - No Disk There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive." There are Cancel, Try Again, and Continue buttons to press (also a red circle with a white X in it on the left). If I click it four times (any button or close X) it disappears. It doesn't seem to be causing any problems, but it's annoying and I would like to get rid of it. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD and get a blue bar, when the bar goes, reboot.

Neil Kalmanson

Neil Kalmanson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Keith - When I inserted the Operating System disk it asked if I wanted to: 1) Install Windows XP 2) Install Optional Windows Components 3) Perform Additional Tasks or 4) Check System Compatibility. Which one do I choose? I'm a real novice at this type of thing, so if there is anything else that you can think of that I would need to know...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Open the CD ROM Drive, put the XP CD in but do not close it yet, after you have typed sfc /scannow and pressed enter, close the CD ROM Drive

Neil Kalmanson

Neil Kalmanson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Keith - I followed your directions above, but when I rebooted that same No Disk message still appeared! After I closed the CD ROM drive I exited, and it said if I did (exit) I may have to put the disk in later. I don't know if that is why it keeps popping up?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Open task manager, click file then new task, type sfc /scannow then press enter, a box with windows file protection will open and it will then ask for the XP CD

Neil Kalmanson

Neil Kalmanson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Keith - I hate to pester you, but when I did what you said the same thing happened after inserting the Operating System disk that I described before " it asked if I wanted to: 1) Install Windows XP 2) Install Optional Windows Components 3) Perform Additional Tasks or 4) Check System Compatibility." Once again, I didn't know which one to choose? Do I (re)install Windows XP, etc. I really don't want to screw things up!

Edited by Neil Kalmanson, 17 August 2005 - 02:02 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
No, what you seem to be getting are the options if you just load the XP CD without having typed sfc /scannow then pressing enter first.

You can also type sfc /scannow, press enter then wait for it to ask for the XP CD

Neil Kalmanson

Neil Kalmanson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Keith - I promise you that I typed sfc/scannow into run, the Enter (OK) and it stil asks me what I want to do and gives me the four options stated above.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It is sfc then space then/scannow

sfc /scannow

Advertisements

Neil Kalmanson

Neil Kalmanson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Keith - Although I didn't have that space in my reply, I did have it when I typed it in, I actually copied and pasted it from yours. What exactly is supposed to happen after you insert the CD?

Edited by Neil Kalmanson, 18 August 2005 - 06:31 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Leave the CD out, just type sfc /scannow then press enter and wait for a box with Windows File Protection to start up, it will ask for the CD when it wants it

Neil Kalmanson

Neil Kalmanson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Keith - That is exactly what I'm doing, and it always asks me what I want to do, offering me those four options!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, it will take an hour, do not disturb, it will appear to load as usual then the monitor will show progress or it goes blank.

You do not need the disc for this

Neil Kalmanson

Neil Kalmanson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
When I typed dsk /f /r I got the following message (black box) "Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to reschedule the next time it can after it restarts? Y/N" I may have compounded my problem by trying to install a Bluetooth dongle. I just bought a Stor Bluetooth dongle from Buy.com and have recently purchased a Nokia 6255i Bluetooth (BT) phone. thought I could transfer photos through BT onto my PC. I am trying to install the dongle, but my operating system doesn't seem to allow it. I have Window XP and it keeps giving me the message that this hardware has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify compatibility with Windows XP. It's strange that I kept tapping continue anyway, but only when I tapped Cancel did it continue. Anyway, although I have the shortcut that opens on my desktop, I don't believe it is active. It doesn't seem to recognize any of my devices. I also keep getting Error: Unable to Start Bluetooth. I also get a Windows "New Hardware installation prompt, but when you tap Finish it loops back to the original prompt. Now this prompt appears when I start my PC. I may be a lost cause!