Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Sharing printers between winxp AND 98

• Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

I have an HP Deskjet 722c printer on a windows xp home computer in my house. It is shared, and used by a xp pro computer and sometimes another xp home laptop. I recently fixed a laptop, and installed windows 98 (first edition) on it, it has all updates, origional hpdeskjet driver from cd, and latest driver from online installed. but it cannot connect to the shared printer on the xp home computer. i tried going through the stupid wizard to add a network printer, but; a: it cannot connect, and b: it doesnt have the right driver built in, and if you click "have disk" and locate the .inf file, get this: the file is blank with the text "use setup.exe" and the setup programs only let you install the printer on LPT1, and even if you go back and change it to \\[winxphomecomputername]\[printername] it still cannot find the printer.

my guess is that the 98 laptop doesnt see the printer because its shared in xp and not 98, also i saw the "additional drivers" button, and saw that it would make sense to need to install a 98 driver on the xp computer as well to make it work, but that is just the same problems as on the 98 laptop.

does anyone think if i'm missing something?

is there any program that i need to share printers with different operating systems?

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
have you copied the xp files from the cd to the 98 machine?
you need to copy files for 98 to talk to xp

try this
98 to xp

Edited by peterm, 26 August 2005 - 03:36 PM.