Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

wanted to upgrade to xp now im stuck

• Please log in to reply

geno1951

geno1951

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:tazz: my dell laptop worked great, i wanted to upgrade to xp i have 2000 pro.thought xp would look better also newer system. i started set up, half way through it said cannot continue , cannot copy files.so i tried again, same thingso i took out the disk and restarted it . after the logo screen it said cannot find winnt/system32/confg/system cannot start... tried again this time after logo screen it says cannot start cmdide.sys is corrupt or lost!!! where did they go?tried reboot it last known confg, safe mode, all. even ran diagnostic test all good. went to the set up screen (blue) only goes half way then stops seys cannot go on file 1252.nls-i386k could not be loaded! error code is 1024 ! im lost all it does now is go to the windows screen and re start, over and over all i wanted to do is up grade help please!!!!!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
what kind of xp disk is this? OEM? Upgrade? full version? how are you trying to install?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

Is this an orignal Microsoft XP cd or a copy you or someone made for you (setup and install is totally different) ??

Murray

geno1951

geno1951

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
bought it at costco 200 dollars xp pro upgrade

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
If you have purchased an OEM copy of Windows XP Home or Pro (this is the type normally shipped with new computers, without retail packaging) this cannot be used to upgrade any previous version of Windows. You would need to perform a clean install of the new operating system.

Murray