Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New memory problems

• Please log in to reply

lampdoc

lampdoc

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hello, I recently found out I had bad memory, so I ordered new memory cards. I have an E-machines T2200, with the original ram being 184 pin Dimm DDR PC 2100 512M. I found and ordered 2 512M PC 2700, which I found was shown as compatible with my system. I put it in and started the system. It ran all the new hardware installs, then crashed when installing my printer. I re-started and all seemed fine. I ran a memory test and the 1G setup tested good. I then re-started and went to go online. When I opened IE, it immediately crashed to the BSOD saying: stop:0x0000008e (0xc000001d,0xbf83d6d7,0xefc820c4,0x00000000) win32.sys address bf83d6d7 base at bf800000, date stamp 422511a2
I then uninstalled the printer since that is where it crashed, but same problem. I then went on in safe mode w/network, and could use the internet just fine. I then disconnected all items non essential, and restarted, same thing. Finally I removed one of the cards, and i've been fine since. Why would I not be able to use both?? and why would it error out only when opening IE. I would like the 1G that I paid for, but can't figure out why I can't use it all. One thing I tought of, but is there a possibility that having two memory sticks with heat shields side by side could be a problem?? My computer is able to go to 2G so it should work...Any help would be great.
Lampdoc

Edited by lampdoc, 16 August 2005 - 03:43 PM.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

I would return the ram if I were you..

Just went to www.crucial.com and the only ram your system can handle is 2100.. If it could reliably use 2700, they would have it listed!!

Murray

lampdoc

lampdoc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I found another site that listed 2700 as ok, and as far as I have read, 2100/2700 etc... all work the same, they just run at different speeds depending on the system, a 2700 would run at 2100 speeds. I picked the 2700 because it was a better price with the heat shield than the 2100 without. also if it was the memory, why would it work fine with one module in, but not both??

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
What site did you go to as even eMachines only list PC2100 ram for an upgrade..

Murray

lampdoc

lampdoc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Kingston's website recommends 512MB 266MHz DDR Non-ECC CL2.5 DIMM
where the item doesn't say pc2700, I know pc2100 is 133MHz, and pc2700 is 266 MHz. Plus like I said before, I found a website that specifically mentions the difference between pc2100, and pc2700 and says they will both work in a system with stock pc2100...
Lampdoc

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Sure hope you can find someone to sell that stuff you bought to..

Murray

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

Kingston's website recommends 512MB 266MHz DDR Non-ECC CL2.5 DIMM
where the item doesn't say pc2700, I know pc2100 is 133MHz, and pc2700 is 266 MHz. Lampdoc

View Post

DDR266 PC2100 184 Pin SDRAM DIMM

Kingston PC2700 DDR333 ValueRAM

Better learn how to read ram and go get the proper chips for your system !!!

Murray

lampdoc

lampdoc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
thanks for the attitude!!!

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
You're welcome !! :tazz:

BTW.. you are the one that said "I know pc2100 is 133MHz, and pc2700 is 266 MHz"

Murray

lampdoc

lampdoc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
:tazz: Excuse me for thinking I know what I'm talking about, it's nice to see someone actually notice EVERY word I say, usually support only notices about every 5th or so.. :) :)

It still dosen't answer the question on why one works fine, but two crashes?!?!?!?

Edited by lampdoc, 16 August 2005 - 06:38 PM.

Advertisements

lampdoc

lampdoc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
by the way, this is the info I've received on numerous pages about pc2100 vs pc2700

quote: "PC-2700 runs at 333 MHz DDR; PC-2100 runs at 266 MHz DDR. Using PC-2700 in a system with a 133 MHz CPU allows you to run agressive timings or OC the CPU, since at stock speeds you're underclocking the memory. If you match PC-2100 with PC-2700 modules on the same motherboard, the PC-2700 will run at the slower speed of the PC-2100"

I know I am no expert, but many sites say that usinf pc2700 is fine, it will just run at the slower speed, I toyed with the issue of buying a pc2100 at a higher price than the pc2700 without the heat shield, and it looks like I chose wrong, but from this info I'm still not sure why the pc2700 wouldn't work, and why it crashes only when two are installed. By the way, the system is running smoother and faster than it ever did with just the one pc2700, so worse case I'll leave it with the one, but I really would like the 1G...

oh and here's the site that says for e-machines t2200 pc2700 is ok, it also says pc3200, here's the link...see I'm not making this up... :tazz:
http://www.memory-up...=12387&system=1

Edited by lampdoc, 16 August 2005 - 07:09 PM.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
With one stick of the pc 2700 installed go into bios and change the ram clock to 133mhz its most likely set to "by spd" change it to user define and set a value of 133mhz, don't forget to save and exit. This will make the ram runn at 266 mhz that your computer is made to run the ram at then install the second stick of ram and see if it works.

Rick

lampdoc

lampdoc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Rick, thanks for the info, I can't seem to access my bios. My e-machines is supposed to have the esc key to access, and it does say at startup to hit the esc ket to access setup, but when I hit the esc key, nothing happens, it just boots like normal. I've also tried for the fun of it f1,f2,f10 and del, but nothing works. Is there another way to the BIOS? Or can I change the clock speed another way???
Thanks

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Try again to use the esc key you may not be hitting it at the right time, I just downloaded the manual for your computer to check if its the right key but the manual is pretty much useless as well as the emachines website

I think that machine has a via km266 chipset witch usually requirers hitting the delete key but with a brand computer you never know.

Another thing is with brand name computers the bios may not let you change the settings that I described and Murray may be right that only pc2100 will work.

Thats why I always recommend custom built computers there more flexable.

hope this helps somewhat

Rick

Keyne

Keyne

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Make sure the RAM wasnt a kit, becuase that would require both modules would NEED to be installed to work properly,