Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need to dump and format hard drive.

• Please log in to reply

tom_beach22

tom_beach22

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
i want to dump and fromat my hard drive so that it is back to the way it was the first day i had it. because my computer is full of spyware and malware and this way would be easier than doing all the spyware stuff. so please tell me how to do this.

my computer was ricently at cash computers to do this but they look two weeks and we just look it back and nothing has changed.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

What do you have for an XP cd??

Normally, it is a simple matter of booting using the XP cd.. and then using the option to delete all partitions before partitioning and installing XP..

Murray

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
This is not to question you Murray, but can't you just right click on your HDD and click Format??If you want to re-format your HDD just use right click and format, but if you want to re-format your OS! Im pretty sure everyone would go with Murray!!!!
Regards RockyIV

Edited by RockyIV, 17 August 2005 - 01:58 AM.

yardguard

yardguard

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Can't format the system drive while running the system.

Murray's suggestion is the best way....Takes care of any partition inconsistences also.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Yardguard is right Rocky.. You can't format the drive you are working in.. Windows won't let you.. That has to be done either in DOS or during the XP setup procedure..

Murray

tom_beach22

tom_beach22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
k! thanks for the help guy!! i could get the stupid cd to work so.. this is what i did.

on boo hold ctrl and tap F11 i then asks if u want a super cpmplete restore of the comp to day 1. and it worked. i was just liek th efirst day i got it.

PS thanks again for the help.

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
Great to hear the good news and thank you both for letting me know that you cant format the Drive you are in!!!
Regards RockyIV

Edited by RockyIV, 18 August 2005 - 05:39 AM.