Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

wireless connection authentication

• Please log in to reply

kifera

kifera

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
hi,

i have got verizon dsl, westell wireless gateway versalink 327w and netgear wireless adapter ma401.
windows xp, sp1, standard firewalls of xp.
i am trying to create an authorized access that will require a password to my wireless dsl, but have not been successful so far.

westell:
configured wireless and privacy settings:
wireless operation: 'enabled', ssid : created unique name; authentication type: 'open system'; wep security: 'enabled'; key 1: created 5-letter pwd

netgear:
properties > 'authentication algorithm > open system wi fi'

afterwards, in 'available wireless networks' my new ssid is visible. however, this window prompts the network key (longer than my 5-letter pwd). could not establish internet connection neither by accepting prompted pwd nor by typing it again.

in 'wireless network properties' > association > wep is required and 'network authentication' choice. but once i choose the latter, i have no internet connection.
my internet works only when i disable this option. it seems that inputting wep has no impact on the connection at all.

all other trials to get internet connection by inputting the pwd (in wireless network properties) and changing 'authentication algorithm' on netgear adapter failed.

at some point i had connection, but i could not open the browser (when 'network authentication' was ticked holding all other variables constant)

please advise how to put the pwd to my wireless connection.
thank you very much.

nat

Advertisements

kifera

kifera

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
i figured it out myself, and just to let know that the above configuration does work for password authentication.
even though each time i was prompted to login with verizon account, one does not need to do so since it does not work (verizon dsl shortcut is automatically installed though).
the solution is to log in with wep going to wireless connection shortcut in available internet connection.