Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

really not looking forward to vista

• Please log in to reply

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
yeah, i'm hearing all these "cool" things about vista, but take another look at them

for example, for 300 bucks you could buy a pc that does internet/email, office stuff, runs 80% of the software out there, and runs 25% of the . this completely wont be possible with vista, its gonna suck up alot of hardware power, and to get a "really fast" system, i'm guessing you would need to spend over $1500. for less than half, i could build a system, that would play doom 3 pretty much ok, not cranked up graphics, but playable on low quality. this is really gonna suck for cheap-skates.

also, lets talk about compatability. first of all is this 64-bit or 32-bit, or both? i cant find out anywhere. and if its 64, will it run 32-bit programs, and will it run even older programs for 98? and will it run 16-bit dos programs, i think it should for all the crap their putting in it they should at least give you that. also, 10 years ago i was nothing with computers, i was an ok user with 3.1 and 95, but 98, me, 2000 and xp turned me into a geek :tazz: , because they were easy to use, and not just userfriendly, but expert friendly, it was easy to be a master, and learn advanced features. i get this feelling with vista, we will all be stupid, unless we spend 24/7 learning and cooperating, and pulling our hair out with vista. i'm a fan of minamalist, cheap, and easy to use things, i'm not the kind of person to hike twice the lenght for a better view.

in my opinion the ideal os would be as easy to use as mac osx, the simple (small iconed) look of windows 98, as powerfull as linux, and it just has to work all for a reasonable price

thank you for listening to my rambling on windows vista. and if i have spoken wrongly correct me.

thank you

-thebinaryman

Advertisements

AffirmationChick

AffirmationChick

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
Everything you said sounds reasonable to me. About all I need to know is that it's going to take a significantly better system than I have now to just run the OS, let alone anything else... especially when I'm accomplishing everything I want to on my current system and the only reason for my upgrading would be this "awesome" new Windows. :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well windows vista, apparently is going to be more efficeint than xp and its resource usage wont be as terrible as people think DEPENDING on what you have it set for obviously some features will need more resources. It will also have the full range of back compatibility and is capable of running 32 bit and 16 bit apps.
As XP was its designed for what is going to be next years mid range comps the power of pcs are going to be in for a jump in the next little while the way the hardware is developing and vista is designed for those users. XP will still be supported and used for a while yet, i will be getting vista when its ben out for a year and the bugs are worked out, probably.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
I have read that vista is going to be alot better for gamers, as it will actually shutdown all the windows procesess and revert to dos for running the game... is this true and if so how will it help the performance of games?

GoCompute

GoCompute

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Porobely of alot. Faster games come from having more resources to run them. Games are one of the most stress things for a computer to run I read somewhere.

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
What I will probably end up doing in 2006-07 is slaving away at work, saving up, building a beast computer for vista, getting a used apple powerbook, and building a budget computer and putting slackware on it. That way, i have the slack box for my main computer, the mac for simplicity and portability, and the vista box for gaming. Then the vista comp can also be a media center for the house. Thats gonna be the only logical way, to be able to have compatability wiht , media, and still be able to run every program out there. And i better find a better job, lol. Either that or vista had better sweep me off my feet for me to completely switch to it, which i highly doubt.

-Thebinaryman

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The pc in your sig should run vista fine.

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
Well not really, i have the SiS 760GX onboard video, which steals memory from my system memory, so i can set it to 32, 64, or 128 MB, but even on 128 MB, its not any better than intel extreme graphics, i should say not any "faster", because i think it suppourts a newer version of opengl.

tem13ca

tem13ca

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Vistas runs faster than XP despite the greater need for resourses. Almost all aspects run faster, although it dislikes Itunes and Firefox, it makes music played by Itunes sound horrid and makes it so that Firefox can't be the main browser. It runs both 64 and 32 bit modes, so you don't have to worry there. You can change the way your icons and all that jazz is set up so that if you don't like the ugly [bleep] default setting. And if you like expert friendly, there is even more management tools and system options then XP. As for it running 16bit dos programs and other old programs, give me a little while and I will find out for you.

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
so wait, i doesnt like iTunes?!?!?!?!?!

now that is bull**** if i ever heard any! looks like i definately have to get a mac now.

thats good that it runs both 32 and 64 bit apps, and i hope you can change icon sizes from what i saw in the screenies posted here. i hated when windows xp came out and they had the extremely large "Tiles" icon view as the default. the little extra pixels from 32 to 48 pixels wide and tall made 1024x768 look like 800x600! and i hated the title bar, the first thing i did when i got xp years ago was set mine down to 18 pixels. back to the subject. Vista had better work with newer versions of iTunes for me to by it.

-Thebinaryman

Edited by Thebinaryman, 25 August 2005 - 07:30 AM.

Advertisements

tem13ca

tem13ca

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Its not like Vistas hates Itunes. Its that Itunes hates Vistas. Itunes always plays horrible when their is another memory demending prorgam running. And I just tested an old program (Sid Miers Railroad Tycoon) and it works 10x better than it did when I ran it on XP. Their is a little slide that ajusts the size of the files and what you saw in that screenshot is the largest it goes.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It is also beta the OS and the software havent been designed to run on each other, itunes and firefox will both be made vista compatible by the time of its release.

tem13ca

tem13ca

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Don't get me wrong, firefox works completely but IE is the main browser no matter what. When firefox changes that it instantly changes back. But they might change that later... I think I'm not suppost to use firefox during the beta.

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
hey tem13ca:

how did you get vista? or should I say longhorn?

tem13ca

tem13ca

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I got it via MSDN(Microsoft Developers Network). So its a legit copy of the beta direct from Microsoft. In fact I have two different versions 64 bit and other. If you might have been thinking that it was a pirated copy you are sorely wrong.