Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem networking 98SE comp to XP

• Please log in to reply

onesikgypo

onesikgypo

• Pip
  • 3 posts
alright were havin a little problem first let me tell you about the two computers:

Computer A: Windows XP Home Edition
Has the Cable modem connected to it
Has the router connected to it
512mb ram

Computer B: Windows 98SE
Being Wirelessly connected to the xp computer

Ok well i know i have my network set up because a) i went through the XP computer, and B) The 98SE computer is getting an internet connection and finally C) because the XP can connect to the 98SE but not visa versa

Now every time im on the 98SE computer and i try to connect to the XP comp i get this "Resource: \\MAIN\IPC$" Then its askin for a password, ive tried every single password ive known it wotn connect, i have even made an account exactly the same as the 98SE computer on the XP computer. IE (this is true) The windows 98SE computer has a username of Default and password - nothing. So i went to the XP connection, i made an account named Default and in the password field put nothing. I dont know what else to do ive tried everything plz help soon!!!

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Have you shared any of the folders you are trying to access with the 98 machine? I believe in a small network (workgroup) like you have you must manually share the things you want to access with the 98se computer.

-=jonnyrotten=- <_<

onesikgypo

onesikgypo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
i dont think you understand, its not that i cant get the files, its that i cant connect at all, in theory i should still be able to connect to the XP computer without the XP computer sharing anything, but anyways i already was sharing different files and folders over the network.

its just that resource thing

Spank_Me

Spank_Me

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Hi Onesikgypo

One thing that you might want to check is the properties of your Nic (or LAN connection) Right click on your connection - select properties - select TCP/IP - click the properties button, on the General tab select the advanced button - WINS tab - near the bottom select the Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP.

This will have to be done on both your XP and 98 cps, XP will use TCP\IP for name resolution and Windows 98 wants to use NetBIOS for name resolution and cannot find your XP cp because NetBIOS is not installed in XP by default anymore. The only other way to go about this is setting up a server, having DNS telling 98 where it has to go.

When you are trying to log onto your XP machine from 98, the username and password it is looking for is the admin or equal user account that will have the rights to log onto the cp from over the network. You can try to make another test user account on XP that has admin rights, set a password for the account, and try that account to connect from 98. Hope this helps huh.gif