Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Requesting information

• Please log in to reply

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I have several questions that I'd like to find out. I'm trying to keep up with technology, but it changes so fast. Forgive me if any of my questions seem dumb. Please let me know to which question your answer belongs. Here I go:

1. What is blogging?

2. What is the difference between Celeron S,M, and D? (if those are the right letters.)

3. What is the best mobile technology processor and which ones are the cheap ones?

4. How is Unix different from Linux?

5. How is Unix when compared to Windows XP?

6. What is the normal temperature inside a computer, and what considered too hot?

7. Can firewalls be circumvented? Which is the best free firewall?

8. Do USB cables have a max length before data fades?

9. Are DVDs still easier to damage than CDs, or has there been some improvements?

That's all I can think of for now. Thanks. :tazz:

Advertisements

Justin

Justin

I do a little bit of everything

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
Hiya!

Im not sure if I can answer all of the questions, but I will answer as many as I can!

1. What is blogging?

Blogging is a Web Blog. A Web Blog is an online community (or sometimes a link on your own personal webpage) where you have a journal. It is a normal journal, except it is online. You write in them daily or however often you like. You can put anything in them from what you did, to your personal views on current events. An example of a blogging community is LiveJournal. There are others, however I cannot think of them riight now.

6. What is the normal temperature inside a computer, and what considered too hot?

The short answer to this question is, as cool as you can get. Basically, the cooler your computer is, the better it will run. How warm your computer is will depend on the number of fans you have installed in your case, as well as any heatsinks that you may have. Someone else might be able to give you a better answer here.

7. Can firewalls be circumvented? Which is the best free firewall?

Here is a gide that tells you everyone you ever wanted to know about Firewalls(and more). And it also has a list of Free firewalls.
http://www.bleepingc...rums/tut60.html

Sadly, thats all I can answer :tazz: . Hope I was somewhat helpful, and hopefully someone can answer the rest of the questions.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Thanks, you were helpful for questions 1 and 7. I realize that heat can hinder performance, and that different computers may have different thresholds as to what temperatures they can withstand, but I'd still like to know what's the average temperatures to expect when a computer is on. My computer's performace is wonderful, but it does heat up my room. Which creates another question:

10. Where on the inside of computers are extra heatsinks and fans usually installed? How do you find an area inside the computer that was designed to add those things?

Justin

Justin

I do a little bit of everything

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
Hello!

You have stumped me with your questions! (Which actually isnt that hard to do). Ive asked some of the Trusted Helpers and Trusted Techs on the forums to take a look at this topic for you. Hopefully we can get these questions answerd for you! :tazz:

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

2. What is the difference between Celeron S,M, and D? (if those are the right letters.)

I dont whether there is a "Celeron S".
"Celeron M" is the mobile-optimized version of the noramal Celeron, typically used in Laptops. As laptops need to be run on batteries the "Celeron M" uses less power and generates less heat than the noram Celeron.
"Celeron D" is the dual-core variant of Celeron. What this means is there are two processors running on a single chip. Dual-core is a new technology. Dual-core helps to increase parallelism in computing.

4. How is Unix different from Linux?

Linux has a GUI like windows. Unix has no GUI its more like DOS with lots of other advanced features.

5. How is Unix when compared to Windows XP?

You can't actaully comapare the two. UNIX is really old, it has no GUI.
A better comparsion would be "Linux vs. Windows".

9. Are DVDs still easier to damage than CDs, or has there been some improvements?

DVD and CD both are physically made of the same plastic. So, u can't say DVD get damaged easily. But u will be loosing more data, if it does.
Without any physical damage, over long course of time; yes, a DVD will wear-n-tear faster than a CD, because of the fact that DVD needs a higher power laser (smaller wavelenght of the laser).
Hopefully with the coming of Blu-Ray disks, these problems will be resolved as Sony and its partners have come out with a new-material to protect the read-able side(s) of a disc.

Edited by darth_ash, 17 August 2005 - 04:15 PM.

Jayzeee

Jayzeee

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

8.  Do USB cables have a max length before data fades?

Anything over 5 metres will become un-realiable.

You can get "Active USB repeater cables" these are plug to socket cables. I'm guessing that they have components built into them, which boosts the signal!?!

I think you can use these upto 45 metres.

Hope this helps :tazz:

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Great! Thanks for the info. Just one question I'm still wondering. About the temperature issue. What are average temperatures for the computer parts inside the computer, such as the CPU, Hard Drive, etc. I know the thresholds differ depending on the manufacturer, but I'm sure there is an overall temperature that is considered normal, right? And where inside the computer are extra heatsinks and fans usually installed?

Thanks again. You never stop learning when it comes to technology, and it is hard to keep up with everything.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well cpu is arguably the most important temperature you will have to worry about. You will hear two terms used in this context 'idle' and 'load'.
The idle temperature is the temperatire the cpu runs at when it is not working or is only running low usage background processes. This you want in the mid 30s to 40s. Load temperature is when the cpu is running at maximum usage over a period of time, most commonly found when you play a game or use benchmarking software; you want the load to be in the upper 40s to fifties and it should never exceed 60 degrees. These are all in celsius it is the standard to use metric measurments and not imperial, if you really want to float the boat you can use kelvin.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
10 is impossible to tell you here because each case manufacturer can put different areas for fans. You can also cut holes in your case to put fans.

You can look up the specs from your case manufacturer online and it should have a diagram that will show you where they intended for fans to be.

I belive that just leaves #3.

ScHwErV :tazz:

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Alright. Thanks a lot. Question #3 I'm still wondering about. I plan on getting a laptop soon and I want it good enough to play some games on. I know what to look for with regards RAM and Video Card, but the laptop CPUs are different. I don't know which are the cheap ones and which are the advanced ones.

Advertisements

andydf

andydf

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 1,660 posts
3. The athlon xp mobile processors from 2500 up are very good. They run at a low voltage and therefore alot cooler, also, if your into it they are highly overclockable.
As for 10 if you fit fans be sure to try and create a good air flow, idealy cool air being drawn in from the front and hot air out through the back, be sure not to create negative air pressure in there though, ie, more air being pulled out than is being drawn in.
Have a look at these cheap but effective ways to cool a pc/cpu

http://superfan.freewebspace.com/

http://radel.inet.net.nz/vents.html

Hope this helps

Andy

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Negative pressure isnt always a good thing i always like either dead even pressure or a slight overpressure as the cooling hit is minimal if you have goos airflow and helps keep the dust out of your pc a negative pressure will act like a dust magnet.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts

I have several questions that I'd like to find out.  I'm trying to keep up with technology, but it changes so fast.  Forgive me if any of my questions seem dumb.  Please let me know to which question your answer belongs.  Here I go:

2.  What is the difference between Celeron S,M, and D? (if those are the right letters.)

3.  What is the best mobile technology processor and which ones are the cheap ones?

add to the celeron discussion:
the d version core improvements:
90nm Strained Silicon Process - more, faster transistors in less space
31 Pipeline Stages - for clock speed ramping
Improved Branch Predictor - helps avoid pipeline stall
Improved Scheduler - helps avoid doing unnecessary work
Improved Execution Core - added integer multiply and fast shift to ALU
Larger, Slower Caches - higher latency caches for speed and size scaling
SSE3 - 13 new instructions
The Celeron D gets an additional bonus of an FSB speed increase from 400MHz to 533MHz as well
a bit more info found here

3)..the best mobile processor is the Pentium M. its the first process developed from the ground up for mobile computing. Celeron based laptops are dirt cheap. AMD just released the Turion, thier version of a mobile processor. to early to tell how it will fair.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Thanks a lot guys. :tazz: I'd say my curiosity is satisfied for now. If I think of anything else I'll be sure to let y'all know. :)

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts

Linux has a GUI like windows. Unix has no GUI its more like DOS with lots of other advanced features.
You can't actaully comapare the two. UNIX is really old, it has no GUI.
A better comparsion would be "Linux vs. Windows".

This is not actually accurate.

Unix is the precursor to Linux, and a lot of Linux is built on modified UNIX code. To say UNIX has no GUI is incorrect. Sun Solaris is a UNIX based system that indeed uses a GUI interface. HP-UX is also a Unix system that provides a GUI interface.

UNIX is just as capable as Linux. Linux's syntax and command structure is a bit easier to understand than UNIX. The GUI with Linux (such as KDE, GNOME and XFCE) are nothing but shells that run ON TOP of a command line interface. Every GUI command can be executed via the CLI in both Linux and UNIX.

Comparing Linux to Windows is not a better comparison as they are nothing alike. Linux and UNIX are MUCH closer in relation to each other.

UNIX, BSD and Linux are all very stable and VERY secure. That alone makes them far different than Windows.

Just a FYI..... :tazz: