Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Looking for talent

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
Ever wanted to make a video game? Nows your chance to help me make one. I'm making a simple little shooter game. Similar to Galaga or Raiden, but instead of ships there are people and bugs. Sounds silly, eh? Of course it's not going to get you money, but it is something simple and fun that you can contribute to. It is challenging, and I am open to suggestions for improvement and ideas for the next levels. I am considering making the next level 3D, but I don't know yet what all Gamemaker is capable of. Anyway, I'm looking for people who can draw on the computer, make music, or make sound fx. Any contribution will be appreciated, and you will receive a copy of the final product if you wish. As well as earning a spot in the credits. :tazz:

All contributions must be 100% original. I don't want anything from off the internet, whether in part or whole. I'd love to let y'all see what it looks like so far, but apparently I can't attach executables. Reply to this post to let me know if you're interested. :)

PS: I have dial-up, so it may be a while before I check for any replies.

Advertisements

Craybo89

Craybo89

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm a guitarist so I could do you up some funky midi files using some of my midi programs, these files are extremely low file size and can have as much tracks as you want, they sound like polyphonic ringtones on a phone (only better 'cause I wrote them :tazz: ). I write the music from scratch with any suggestions you give me e.g genre, how many tracks, what instruments.

What can you tell me about this project? What programming are you using? Where are you going to host the game (I could help design websites, i've done a few in the past and I can show examples)?

I'd be interested to help as long as I get my name in the credits. :)

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
Sounds great. I'm not quite sure how I want the music to sound yet, but I think some guitar music would be great.

This project is a personal project which started out as a test of my abilities. I thought it was just something funny that I'd throw away, but it has grown and acts almost like a professional game from 8 years ago. Of course I can't say it looks or sounds professional, but with help from people like you, I think we can make it look real good.

I am doing all of the programming using Gamemaker (found at www.gamemaker.nl) It makes game-making quicker and easier. It took me about 35 hours to get what I got right now.

I have absolutely no experience with making websites, so I could use someone to do that. And as for showing examples of the game, of course you can.

If you have Yahoo Instant Messenging or AIM, we can talk further.

Thanks for your support :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well, i wouldnt make a game from scratch, make a mod for best effect use something like the source engine which is really mod freindly and the developers open to helping. It wouldnt take you long to port acroos what you allready have that way instead of it looking like a game from 8 years ago it looks like a game that made today. What kind of game is it.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
:) whoa! You're speakin another language to me. Mods? What's that? Port acroos? Need some info here, I'm confined to dial-up so I don't know what's all out there.

The type of game is a 3rd person shooter, but not one of those shooters where you go all over and explore. It's just simple, and in order to make it interesting, I want it to change genres here and there. I've finished level 1, and I plan on making level 2 like a maze with traps, bad guys, and maybe some puzzles to solve. This will be an evolving game and I am definately open to suggestions.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You are making a game and dont know what porting and mods are, lol.
A mod or modification is taking an game or engine that allready exists and the creators are willing for it to be used and changed, most are unless you plan on selling it. I reccomend source because it has a strong mod community great gfx and lots of developer tools created by vave to make mod creation really easy. You could also try far cry it has developer tools as well.
Have you played HL2 or far cry, at all, if you have or can you will see why i would reccomend them. Porting is the process of moving across existing material to another platform. To port what you have you would for example look at your maps then if you were doing a source use hammer editor(great 3d modeling/map software free with hl2) and make your map in that in 3d with all the textures tha hl2 is famous for, a hl2 map can be done in a day for a really simple one and look really amazing.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
i think the old school games are some of the best...less complicated and easier to play..i've always wanted someone to make a game that was part spy hunter part duke nukem part wolfenstein and part zelda...i think you've got a good idea going...where each level is basically a different game but with the same general conept

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
:) I'm trying to keep it simple and completely original, just incase it turns out good and I decide to sell it. When I say simple, I mean use my own stuff, rather than getting premade stuff off the internet. When I'm through, it will be a complex game. Using mods and porting sounds very interesing, but it would have to be free, and I'd have to be allowed to sell it. Gamemaker is very simple, I barely have any code writen. It has all sorts of pre-programmed operations. Sounds too simple, and yet people have used it to recreate a variety of Sonic the Hedgehog and Megaman. They look almost like the real thing.

I really appreciate your input. If you can show me where I can find a free mod that the makers wouldn't mind me using in my game and maybe even selling it, I'll check it out. For now, I'm still need someone who can draw or do graphics on the computer.

Thanks a lot :tazz:

Computerwiz12890

Edited by computerwiz12890, 17 August 2005 - 11:28 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
See you are in a prediciment about selling it, no one wants to buy games made in game maker because it is so easy to do themselves. There are a couple of open source games engines out there nothing as high quality as what is coming out commercially. Im afraid while there is a market for games you are making the quality and engine used isnt commercially viable considering the fact that commercial gamer makers are also catering the fps/puzzle adventure market again.
Most developers are open to mods of there games, source and the far cry engine are open to modding as long as you dont infringe the copyrights of things like films and tv programes without asking first. I say go for source because it is allready super flexible it is being developed in the puzzle/adventure genre allready by a few mod teams. You wouldnt be able to sell it though unless you did a deal with valve, although if it is that good they would probably buy it from you, but it would have to be really really good.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
I see. Oh well, it will just be a game for fun then. Like I said, it will be an evolving game, so we'll see where it goes. I want to make sure I don't even accidentally commit copyright infringement. Selling it won't be a big thing for me, but if somehow it ends up good enough to sell, I don't want anything, such as copyrights, to hold me back.

Thanks

PS: if anyone can draw well on the computer, contact me. I still could use an artist for this game.

Advertisements

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
Hey this might help:

http://www.ambrosine.com/resource.html

Regards RockyIV

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
Thanks a lot. That website will be very useful.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I almost never play any 2d games anymore because there are so many really interesting 3d games and some really fantastic mods that have a great story and development, one of the better mods around is PDS for homeworld 2 excellent mod builds and improves on the original game and is in fact far superior to the original title. There are lots of source mods on the way because it is so easy to use and it is a great way to learn useful and valuable 3dmodeling and texturing skills(if you can do these well you will never be without work.)

joeieandshelle

joeieandshelle

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Ever wanted to make a video game?  Nows your chance to help me make one.  I'm making a simple little shooter game.  Similar to Galaga or Raiden, but instead of ships there are people and bugs.  Sounds silly, eh?  Of course it's not going to get you money, but it is something simple and fun that you can contribute to.  It is challenging, and I am open to suggestions for improvement and ideas for the next levels.  I am considering making the next level 3D, but I don't know yet what all Gamemaker is capable of.  Anyway, I'm looking for people who can draw on the computer, make music, or make sound fx.  Any contribution will be appreciated, and you will receive a copy of the final product if you wish.  As well as earning a spot in the credits.  :tazz:
All contributions must be 100% original.  I don't want anything from off the internet, whether in part or whole.  I'd love to let y'all see what it looks like so far, but apparently I can't attach executables.  Reply to this post to let me know if you're interested.  :)
PS:  I have dial-up, so it may be a while before I check for any replies.

View Post

Hey I'm interested in your game.
What sort of music did you want in the game as i am able to compose music on the pc but it depends what yoou are looking for really.
Let me know and i'll see if i can help out.
Have you made any other games and if you have could you send them to me so i can take a look as i'm into all that game stuff too.
thanks

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
I'm looking for creepy or adventurous music. The only other game I've made is a very simple Yahtzee game. How can I get in touch with you joeieandshelle?