Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Is my windows auto update broken?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
I'm the kind of computer guy that likes to do everything manually, but using dial-up can create some problems. I try to manually update my computer, but that has failed many times. So now I try to use auto-update, but that seems to be troublesome as well. I know with dial-up it can take a LONG time to download stuff. And there are updates out there that are fairly big. But here's what gets me:

My auto update appears when I connect, says it is downloading updates and is at 6%, but then after about 1 minute, it disappears. It returns 10 minutes later and says it is still at 6%. This has been happening for about 1 week. Before that it did pretty much the same thing, except it got up to 12%. For some reason it is down to 6% and will not change. This is annoying, however, my method of connection to the internet could be the cause:

My dad's computer connects to the internet with dial-up. Mine connects to the internet through his. We are linked with a network wire. However, because of the complications of dial-up (meaning the internet sharing settings are lost after disconnecting, and setting it up won't take effect until reconnection) I have to use a proxy program on my dad's computer to connect. I know the dangers of using a proxy, but we haven't experienced any problems and it makes it convinient for me to connect to the internet. We have a firewall, anti-virus, and spyware removal, so I'm not too worried about the dangers.

Any suggestions to improve our connection (without buying something :tazz: ) or to fix my auto-update would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. :)

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Windows Update on a dial-up connection, especially auto-update, is never going to be satisfactory except for small patches under 1MB at a time. For anything bigger you need to ask a friend on broadband to download updates for your OS.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
How do I download updates for my OS on an different computer and then transfer them to mine?