Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Leave pc on all the time?

• Please log in to reply

Laptop Boy

Laptop Boy

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
This may be a dumb question, but should I leave my laptop on all the time or shut it down when not using it?

I use it 10 or more hours a day. Will it hurt it to stay on all the time? Is it bad for it to shutdown and and start up all the time?

Thanks <_<

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Most tech experts will recommend that you leave your system on all the time. The biggest strain on your system's components are starting up and shuting down. Modern PC's have very good power management and don't use much power when in standby. Or, if you want to put your unused computing power to use, consider folding@home, or another distributed computing program. <_<

geohicks

geohicks

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Admin how did you learn to be so computer savy

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I'm mostly self-taught. I've been tinkering with computers for almost 20 years. It's just a hobby and something that I enjoy-- not my day job. <_<