Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

javascript and possible activeX problems

• Please log in to reply

rickz8

rickz8

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi

I am running WinXP Home Edition 2002 sp2 on a Toshiba Satellite Celeron 2.4G with 240M RAM

My abilities are outside the caliber of this group but I'm looking for some pointers.

I attribute my problem to possiblely be from registery HKey changes made by a spyware tool.

I cannot run javascripts from websites, for instance, the log on screen for online banking shows a blank white screen and no user and password boxes, I can no longer animate satellite/radar loops in weatherbug, various buttons on websites, Norton control screen stopped working correctly etc.

I have seen messages about activeX controls as well, I don't know if they are related or not.

Initial questions:
1) Is there an easy fix for a non admin like myself, like downloading from java.com?

2) Are javascripts, activeX and the registery related?

3) Am I on the wrong track, like this is more a spyware/virus problem? Performance is acceptable and no blue screens or lock ups are noticed.

4) Should I have someone look this over and do a fix for me and for instance, who? Ciruit City, GeekSquad, a consultant?

Thanks for being tolerant,
-Rick

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
On a web page, click tools internet options, on the general tab click delete cookies, then delete files, include offline content, click clear history.

On the security, privacy and advanced tabs, click default level

Close IE then open it and try one of the sites

Some online banking sites will only accept IE for browsing

If you get Javascript errors then you would need Java runtime

http://www.java.com/...load/manual.jsp

Try the sites before installing java as you might not need it

rickz8

rickz8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi Keith,

I did all the steps, including the java.com link download. The privacy tab from IE Tools did not allow a default click but everything else looked good.

This is the message from the online banking. still no animation in weatherbug.

We are sorry, but your browser cannot run the Javascript that is necessary to perform many of the online banking functions.

Either your browser does not recognize Javascript or you have Javascript or Active Scripting disabled. Online banking requires a minimum web browser version of Microsoft® Internet Explorer version 4.01 or Netscape Navigator® version 4.73 with 128-bit security and Javascript enabled. The most recent versions of Netscape and Internet Explorer meet these requirements. You can download either free of charge.

If you meet the version requirements above, please make sure Javascript and Active Scripting are enabled, then click here to continue with the login process.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi rickz8...

With Internet Explorer open, click "Tools", "Internet Options", and choose the "Advanced" tab. Scroll down to "Java (Sun) " and make sure that the box has a tick in it. Also make sure there are ticks in the boxes next to "Enable third party browser extensions " and "Enable visual styles on buttons and controls in web pages ". Click "Apply" and "OK"...restart your machine and try the websites again.

wannabe1

rickz8

rickz8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi Wannabe1

All 3 boxes were already ticked on?

Thanks for your help

-Rick

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Start -> Run.
Type: regsvr32 jscript.dll.
Press <enter>

Start -> Run.
Type: regsvr32 actxprxy.dll.
Press <enter>

rickz8

rickz8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi darth_ash,

!!!!!

I checked the weatherbug animation, and the online banking site, and notice right off a difference when I logged on to comcast.

Everything is working normally now !!! My thanks to you and the others (Keith and wannabe1 too) for each step !!

Questions

1) What made this happen in the first place? Should I be using a particular spyware tool moreover another ?

2) Is this a permanent fix, or should I expect it to happen again ?

3) I now wish to download a virus detection/removal tool. Any recommendations as the best to use?

Thanks for helping out a simpleton ! There was alot of trepidation for me to submit my post, but after many nights of google searches, postings reviews etc etc, I do believe I am all set.

Many Thanks !!! :tazz:
-Rick

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have a look at 1,3,4,5 of these, HJT, hopefully you won't need

http://www.filehippo...re/antispyware/

Choose an antivirus from here

http://www.filehippo...ware/antivirus/

Bookmark and run either or both of these as a double check