Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win XP Pro

• Please log in to reply

Daniel_Aubrect

Daniel_Aubrect

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am trying to assist a friend of mine with their Windows XP Pro problem.

The problem, Is that when she starts her Computer and logs into XP All the Icons show an Unassociated File Icon, and when she attempts to start a program XP informs her that the file is unassociated. This can not be done. Do to nothing is able to opened or used except for the recycle bin.

I have had her restart the Computer in Safe Mode and the same exact problem is occurring there. I have had her restart with the last good boot, and once again the same problem. In fact I have had her restart in every safe mode possible. I have also attempted to have her access her system restore but do to the lack of programs starting this too is not an option.

I have had her attempt the system repair feature. And her Disk will not boot. And yes I have even had her go into the Bios and make sure that she had the proper settings for the Boot Priority, and even had her switch the Priority from being second to first, just hoping it would work and alas it did not work. I am not there with her, we live in different states. And I am trying my best to help her anyway I can. Normally this is a repair her husband would handle but he is overseas at the moment in Iraq Along with our other brave troops.

Any suggestions you can throw my way would be appreciated. I truly am at my wits end. Anything that could be helpful right now would be a god’s send. I really do not know what else to do.

Thank you very Much

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Are you able to click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, or right click the taskbar to get task manager then click file, new task, type sfc /scannow then press enter.

Either way you need the XP CD and get a blue bar, when the bar goes, reboot

Daniel_Aubrect

Daniel_Aubrect

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you very much, I shall pass along the information and attempt to see what happens. With any luck this will work. I must admit that was one option that didnt work. I know everything else I attempted to start in the Run command line did not work. but perhaps with luck this will. I will certainly keep you posted on the situation, Thank you once again.

Daniel_Aubrect

Daniel_Aubrect

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Alright, I attempted to preform the SFC /Scannow command, which did not work, Attempted it in both the Run and the Task Manager. Both of which were not responding. I eventually decided to attempt a different route, By taking my friend to the Command Prompt through the Safe mode, and having her bring up the I386 Directory, After doing some searching on my end as well, at my own cd And Finally deciding to attempt to run the Winnt32.exe (I believe thats the extension) and recieved similar results as the system repair, but unfortunatly I had to replace windows xp all together. though considering the problem. I believe it was the final solution. One that worked just fine as far as I can see, Except for some minor tweeking and some Service Pack and Update installs. I feel the heart of the problem is far behind us. I have already had her run two Virus Scans One from Mcaffee and the other from a web based scanner, both have come up negative. So Basically Im happy with the results.

I just wanted to thank Keith for his help. It was greatly appreciated. Though not recieving the answer needed. It did lead me along another line of though processes that was needed. Trouble Shooting above all else is a step by step process. Something I truly understand.

And Also my apreciation to all the Geeks at the Forums for volenteering their time from their normally busy day to help those of us that just come to our wits end. And just need that little extra Advice to help get their brain rolling or even the system Repaired. And also of those of us who need a step by step process because we have not yet learned the ins and outs of the PC world. So once again Thank you to the Gang at GeekstoGo.com

(sorry about spelling and gramar, Been a long day)