Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hardware or Software?

• Please log in to reply

yayomayn

yayomayn

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi,
I recently got my PC back after a warranty repair (hardware issue where the system kept freezing - think it was the CPU fan). Anyway since then it has gotten progressively slower as the days go by and now I'm lucky if it'll even load any programmes.
It boots up and loads into windows ok and then starts to load up my auto start stuff fine. But when I double click on a programme to enter it it either takes a very long time (we're talking nearly ten minutes) or it does nothing at all.
I've ran an AVG Virus scan in safe mode, the symmantec SAV32CLI scanner in command prompt and Ad Aware in safe mode and this has found no errors. I have de-fragged the hard drive and run error checking also to no avail.

The people who "repaired" my PC have simply either copied or physically put my hardrive into a new system, so I thought if they'd just copied it then it may have corrupted windows somehow. I tried to do a repair of windows with my XP disc but the system will not even boot into it (I have changed the BIOS settings so that the CD drive is top priority for boots, I also tried pressing F11 and telling the PC to boot with the CD drive but neither have worked :tazz: ).

Does anyone out there have any ideas what might be causing all of this trouble, or at least be able to tell me if it is likely to be a hardware issue(as it's still under warranty) or whether the windows repair would sort it.

I would be most appreciative of any help!

System:
AMD Athalon 3400 2.4 Ghz processor
80 GB Maxtor HDD
512Mb DDR RAM
Audiphile USB Soundcard
Running Windows XP (Service Pack 2 installed)

Other programmes used:
Office 2003
Opera Web Browser
mIRC
AVG Anti-Virus
Ad-Aware SE
Cubase SX
Real Player
Roxio Easy Media Creator

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
You problem is software I think, winodws updates it beleved to be the cause in my case, I could never test it because my computer died before I could test it. Go to the add remove programs and up the top tick show updats and then remove all the windows updares this might work (it did for some one else I told to do this)

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD and get a blue bar, after the bar goes, reboot.

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

It will appear to load as usual then either the monitor will show the progress or the screen will go blank, either way, do not disturb this, it will take an hour or so to get back to the desktop.

Once you have run these then the system files and the hard drive will be as they should be.

If you still get errors then you can look at other things

yayomayn

yayomayn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks for the help people!

Unfortunately I've tried both of these solutions but the system is still behaving in the same way. I ran the sfc thing and it just scanned and finished. After the 2 reboots, the chkdsk thing didn't seem to find any errors.
I've deleted all of the windows updates and now I can't download and install any to replace them as the system is too slow!!!

It still will not boot to the XP cd I have, despite the fact that I have changed the boot priority in the BIOS and used the boot menu - it just seems to ignore me.

Whilst I was in the BIOS I noticed that the CPU temperature was 56 Degrees Celsius, which seems a little hot to me. The computer doesn't reside in a terribly hot place and the room is ventilated. I run my work computer (a laptop) from the same room all day with no problems at all.

Is there anything else software related it could be? Or is it time to write some stern emails :tazz:

Once again, thanks, I really appreciate the help! :)

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If this happened after the repair, take it back

yayomayn

yayomayn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks, I will probably have to do that. I just wanted to check with people in the know that it was specifically a hardware issue rather than a software one as if it's not hardware then I'm not covered by my warranty and have to pay for "labour".

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
As you have run sfc and chkdsk it is probably hardware or something they did / didn't do when they looked at it

yayomayn

yayomayn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Yes, I do get the feeling that they are a bit cowboyish. Though having said that they seem to have plenty of satisfied customers on ebay so I may have just been unlucky!

Thanks again Keith.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Just take it back say that they mucked it up and that you want if fixed for free.

Edited by Michael Buckley, 18 August 2005 - 02:42 AM.