Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microsoft Update error

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Most of it said - don't do this :tazz:

Get Service Pack 2 here

http://www.microsoft...us/default.mspx

Install it then try for updates

Advertisements

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Thanks, but I already have SP2.

The main problem here appears to be that access is denied to the Automatic Updates service from all user accounts and in safe mode, so it isn't started - and I can't find any specific help on that problem at all. No other services have this problem. I have attached an excerpt from my Windows Update log - if I paste it in here everything in it goes out of line and it's impossible to read.

Thanks for your help

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you install it from the CD it might replace some of the files

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hmmm, my XP Pro CD has SP2 built-in, can't I use that - seems like too much hassle to wait for a CD from Microsoft. I could uninstall it from Add/Remove Programs and then redownload it anyway, what do you think?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Update might not let you

Try here

http://www.theelderg..._windows_xp.htm

Use Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation, last in list

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Yeh I was thinking that, I wanted it to be a last resort though, because I'd like to know what caused this problem and how to fix it normally, as I didn't do anything that I know of to cause it!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It happens

This repair leaves data and programmes alone but you need to re-install all updates

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hi Keith, I sorted it :tazz: I am posting for the benefit of anyone else with the problem and maybe also for your benefit, and mainly to thank you for your help.

I fixed it by doing a bit more in-depth research in the MS Knowledge Base and then modifying the security settings for the Automatic Updates service like this:
go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\wuauserv\Security and DELETE the "Security" key to reset permissions.
No idea how permissions got changed to not allow anyone access to the service. Windows/Microsoft Update works fine now as well!
Thanks again
Tom

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You very much :tazz:

I would not have considered it as an option

tremblyj

tremblyj

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Here's the fix for the Microsoft/Windows Update problem caused by one of Microsoft's wonderful patches. Upgrade XML to version 3.0 SP5.

:tazz:

Go to the Microsoft link below and scroll down in the page to the file download section. Then click on the msxml3.msi link and select OPEN and let it install.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4a3ad088-a893-4f0b-a932-5e024e74519f&displaylang=en

-This problem really messed up my organization's critial update patching for a few days until we found the fix. Another patch, the WIN2004-SP4 security rollup patch, disabled all of the Lexmark printers on our print server. If we uninstalled the rollup patch from each client, they could print. Obviously uninstalling the rollup from each client is not a solution so Lexmark has told us to install their basic driver on our print server for their printers until they can re-write the regular printer drivers to work with the rollup patch.
:)

-John T

Advertisements

Nepal

Nepal

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hejsa Tomdryson

Please check the "Impersonate a client after Authentication" policy to see
if the Service and Local Service are present. If not, please add the "Local
Service" and "Service" accounts and reboot the machine.

(Local Computer Policy -> Computer Configuration -> Windows Settings ->
Security Settings -> Local Policies -> User Rights Assignment)

Hope it works