Hi ni3k7. Welcome to GTG.
Have you tried cleaning out your temp. files? Try doing that.
Please delete your temporary files. Double Click My Computer (WinXP: Navigate to Start --->My Computer)
You will see an icon representing your harddrive (most likely C: Drive) Right Click on the hard drive icon and click Properties
bottom of the fly out window. One the very first tab (General) you will see a button labeled "Disk Cleanup"...click that button.
Make sure the following are checked:Downloaded Program Files
Temporary Internet Files and
and Disk Cleanup will delete those files for you.
Install the program and launch it.
First, in the main window, look in the bottom right corner and click on Check for updates now
and download the latest reference files.
Next, we need to configure Ad-aware for a full scan.
-> Click on the Gear
icon (second from the left) to access the preferences/settings window
1. In the General
window make sure the following are selected:
- Automatically save log-file
- Automatically quarantine objects prior to removal
- Safe Mode (always request confirmation)
2. Click on the Scanning
button on the left and select :
- Scan Within Archives
- Scan Active Processes
- Scan Registry
- Deep Scan Registry
- Scan my IE favorites for banned URL’s
- Scan my Hosts file
- Under Click here to select drives + folders, choose:
- All of your hard drives
-> Click on the Advanced
button on the left and select:
- Include additional process information
- Include additional file information
- Include environment information
- Include additional object details
-> Click the Tweak
button and select:
- Under the Scanning Engine:
- Unload recognized processes during scanning
- Include basic Ad-aware settings in logfile
- Include additional Ad-aware settings in logfile
- Under the Cleaning Engine:
- Let Windows remove files in use at next reboot
-> Click on Proceed
to save the settings.
-> Click Start
and on the next screen choose Activate in-depth Scan
at the bottom of the page and then choose:
- Use Custom Scanning Options
-> Click Next
will scan your hard drive(s) with the options you have selected.
-> Save the log file when it asks and then click Finish
-> When finished, mark everything for removal and get rid of it. (Right-click the window and choose Select All
from the drop down menu and click Next
Let us take a closer look at what is running on your PC. We'll need you to use a free diagnostic tool (HiJackThis) and post a log as a new topic in the Hijack This forum
. It will get a better response there from the people most qualified to analyze logs.
Click the HijackThis Guide
in my signature, download it and follow the instructions in the guide. Also see this post
Most of what it lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.