Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

spykiller [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Lollypic

Lollypic

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi,

You guys just helped me clean up my home computer, for which I am eternally grateful.

I'm having a problem with another computer (at work) that has me about ready to commit harakiri, and if you can help me with that also, I will erect statues of you in my office.

We were running Norton 2002 without a subscription, and I suggested that we resubscribe and upgrade to 2005. It took some tools from Symantec to fully uninstall Norton 2002.

When I try to install Norton 2005, I get an error message that it can't write to a given registry key, check to see if I have permissions, etc.

So I went into the registry and gave the system permissions, and then myself as a user for the exact key. It didn't work, I still get the same error message and installation fails.

I called Norton support, and they had me rename the old Symantec registry keys and re-remove all Symantec products. I did. Same error on install.

They now insist that I have spyware. In fact, I have something called Spykiller that shows up in my add/remove programs, that when I try to uninstall it, it gives the message "Unable to find initialization file". I have run every program that you guys prescribe for virus removal and clean up and it doesn't show up anywhere. I have run HiJack This and there is no key for it in there.

I have read other places that Spykiller is bad news.

Can you help me get rid of it and by all means suggest ANYTHING else that might be interfering with Norton installation.

Many thanks!
L

Advertisements

Excal

Excal

Malware Slayer Extraordinaire!

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
Hi again L :)

Go ahead and post a HiJackthis from that computer and lets see if I can help you :)

:tazz:

Excal

Lollypic

Lollypic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hooray!!!

Here it is:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 2:07:36 PM, on 8/17/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\tcpsvcs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ps2.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Hardware\Mouse\point32.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Distillr\AcroTray.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqgalry.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\InDesign CS\InDesign.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE11\OUTLOOK.EXE
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\WINWORD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\msagent\AgentSvr.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Illustrator 9.0.1\Illustrator.exe
C:\DOCUME~1\David\LOCALS~1\Temp\Temporary Directory 1 for hijackthis.zip\HijackThis.exe

F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=C:\WINDOWS\System32\userinit.exe
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {B184DC47-BD18-453A-800C-1330395C389F} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {EAC94F60-04CC-4177-B455-E03B7876BCED} - (no file)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsysdrv] c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KBD] C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PS2] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ps2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [POINTER] c:\Program Files\Microsoft Hardware\Mouse\point32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinPatrol] "C:\PROGRA~1\BILLPS~1\WINPAT~1\WinPatrol.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Component Manager] "C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Acrobat Assistant.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Distillr\AcroTray.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.exe.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
O4 - Global Startup: HP Image Zone Fast Start.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqthb08.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\System32\HPZipm12.exe

Excal

Excal

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
hi :)

I don't see alot :tazz:

Before you do anything else, please create a folder for HijackThis and put it in a permanent folder (like C:\HJT) instead of the Temp folder. This is required because HijackThis will create backups and we don't want them to be deleted

open Hijackthis and do a scan. Please check off the following items:

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {B184DC47-BD18-453A-800C-1330395C389F} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {EAC94F60-04CC-4177-B455-E03B7876BCED} - (no file)

click FIX CHECKED then close Hijackthis

reboot

Run this online virus scan: ActiveScan - Please save and post the results from the scan!

Lollypic

Lollypic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks Excal,

This is so weird. Nothing is finding anything.

I came to the conclusion that the fault may lie with the Norton file. I have had several problems with Norton.

I have made the executive decision to go with AVG instead.

Thanks for all your help! Keep up the good fight!!

L

Excal

Excal

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
I like AVG also :tazz: I use that and Sygate for my firewall.

Here is a list of free programs for you to look through. If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask

Thanks,

Excal

Might I suggest the following Free Spyware programs, if you don't already have them, for added security, you can download them at the following links. These programs work great for detection:

Ad-aware SE
Spybot S&D
Microsoft Anti-Spyware

If you are unhappy with your current antivirus and want to replace it or if you dont already have one, I suggest one of these free programs:
*Note - do not use more than one anti-virus program as it will more than likely cause conflict.

AVG
Avast
AntiVir

The following free programs are great for prevention:

SpywareBlaster 3.4
Spywareguard
IE/Spyad

A Firewall is a must! Here are 3 good free versions:
(do not have more than one firewall running on your system)

Sygate
Kerio
ZoneLabs

There are other options other than Internet Explorer for a browser, which some say have better security. Two of them are:

Firefox
Opera

If you decide to keep Internet Explorer, This site is a great source for tightening up security on It's settings.

Make sure that you keep your Operating System and IE updated with the latest Critical Security Updates from Microsoft...they usually come out once a month, on the 2nd Tuesday of each month.

Be sure and give the Temp folders a cleaning out now and then as well, Make sure after you clean your Temp files to empty out your Recycle bin as well.
For ease use the following program:

Cleanup
Run "Cleanup" and when it has finished, Reboot

To help prevent future spyware installations/infections, please read the Anti-Spyware Tutorial and use the tools provided. Also read How I got Infected

Excal

Excal

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.