Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memory recommendation

• Please log in to reply

famosbrown

famosbrown

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I'm working on a friend's computer, and he has ordered memory already for it without me. He has a HP Paviliion xt963. It's an old celeron processor that currently has 128 mb of PC133 installed.

He ordered REFURBISHED: Kingston ValueRAM 256MB 168-Pin SDRAM System Memory - OEM

Will this RAM work on his computer? I've looked up specs on this computer and it says its an Intel 810e board...then soemwhere else it said something else...this computer is built funny, so the only way I can get into the machine to look at the other side is to rip the metal off of the hinges, LOL. Thanks for all of the help and recommendation.

I've used crucial.com's RAM recommendation tool, along with some others, but none shows enough specs to compare it with this one.

Famos

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

It should work.. According to HP Spec Sheet on this system, they have two ram slots available with a maximum memory of 512Megs.. So, they should be able to install 2-256meg chips in it..

Murray

famosbrown

famosbrown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thanks alot!! I was wondering since the chips he ordered has gold connectors, and I really couldn't find a definitive answer to if the board on his mobo has tin or gold connection on the DIMM slots. Also, the RAM he ordered is x64, and the one installed is x32.

Thanks for the assurance!!

Famos

famosbrown

famosbrown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Memory just came UPS, and neither worked. Maybe because it is refurbished, or maybe because it just isn't compaticle with this board.

Famos

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
yes that ram should work on that computer, explain what happens when you install the ram and power on.

Are there any beeps/

Rick

famosbrown

famosbrown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Yes...I heard the beeps and then nothing. I tried them both in together and one by one. Still received the beeps stating no RAM present. I also tried them both one by one witht he current stick of RAM, and it botted fine with no boots, but only the old RAM was recognized. I also read reviews from other users of this RAM stating not to use this in any HP machine. I shipped them back to newegg to get a refund.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Yea bad ram when the board beeps like that it can't find any useable memory.

Rick

famosbrown

famosbrown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
YEP...when the beep sounds, no memory...rather than spending $200 for 512mb of RAM that matches exactly what his board needs to upgrade, I am going to build him a new one for about $500 dollars...if he gets impatient, then he will probably go to a Best Buy to get one for the same price...he doesn't do much except surf the net, write papers, and burn music. I could build him a pretty nice rig for $500 bucks though.

I had a feeling when I looked at the specs on that RAM that it wouldn't work...