Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is this a Windows XP problem or BIOS/CMOS/PSU?

• Please log in to reply

pityocamptes

pityocamptes

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hoping to get some help here. About two months ago my system started acting weird. When I shut down from the start menu it does what it is supposed to do. However, about 20 min to 30 min later it will restart on its own. I have no idea why. I have gone into BIOS and disabled all wake ups. I have gone into power management and disables/set properties accordingly. I still turns itself back on after being shut down for about 30 min. I don't think it is a power supply problem because when it turns back on and boots to the BIOS password (set password in BIOS) I can turn the system off using the on/off button on the front of the tower and it will stay off until I decide to turn it back on. Something is triggering the BIOS/CMOS to turn back on. I wonder if it could be a virus or program on my system? I have run AVG and it found no viruses. I currently have NoAdware, AVG, and StopZilla. I can do a HijackThis log and post it here if anyone thinks it might be a software conflict. Any ideas how to isolate it. Its driving me freakin' nuts. Thanks! :tazz: :)

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
I could be a corrupted bios, or a virus hit it. You might try reflashing the bios. Note: Follow the bios flashing steps on the motherboard manufacture's site to a "T"... or... you may end up with a dead machine.

pityocamptes

pityocamptes

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I could be a corrupted bios, or a virus hit it.  You might try reflashing the bios.  Note:  Follow the bios flashing steps on the motherboard manufacture's site to a "T"... or... you may end up with a dead machine.

View Post

Thanks. I reflashed it the other day but it made no difference. Any other ideas?

pityocamptes

pityocamptes

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
OK, here is what I did to try and narrow this problem down. Last night I disabled StopZilla services (don't think that really made a difference). I had read an article that said the power button can sometimes do this. So I pulled the front panel pins off the MOBO for reset, shutdown, and led light. I also pulled out the phone plug (eventhough I disabled wake on ring in modem and BIOS). I shutdown the system and checked back after a couple of hours and it was still down. So I plugged everything back in (what I should have done is add one component at a time - will try that tonight) and rebooted, and then shut down. I checked back again around two hours later and the system was still down. So I figure it was a lose reset or on/off plug on the MOBO. I woke up this morning and the system was on :tazz: It seems that it may be one of those components. Any ideas? Thanks.

pityocamptes

pityocamptes

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
OK. It ended up being a bad modem card. Will get a new one today. Just thought I'd pass that on.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

OK. It ended up being a bad modem card. Will get a new one today. Just thought I'd pass that on.

View Post

Your modem card may not be bad, it may just be set to powerup on LAN.

RAz

RAz

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
yes Tyger is right...
are you sure you dissabled the "wake on lan" feature from the BIOS?

Edited by RAz, 19 August 2005 - 03:01 PM.

pityocamptes

pityocamptes

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes, I am 100% sure that I disabled it. I initially pulled the phone cord from the modem but it still kicked on after a while. Then I pulled the whol card and it has continued to stay off. Bad cap or other component on the modem card?