Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

start up annoyances

• Please log in to reply

blueskieswoman

blueskieswoman

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
when I restart my computer, I get a security alert (need to click the balloon above the tray icon to fix) that my computer may be at risk.

Most times it says that my "anti-virus" is off; sometimes it says that my "firewall" and "antivirus" are turned off.

What is going on?

When I click on the balloon, if it is just the AV all is okay; if it is both the MS screen comes up for me to turn the firewall and AV ON.

I don't think I have changed anything, but this is driving me batty. All is well with my fw & av programs as they are slated to run automatically at start up.

This is an annoyance, not a crisis (for once :tazz: ) but I am afraid it will become more of a problem down the road.

Running Windows XP, NAV, Spybot, Spyblaster, MS AV beta, Ad-Aware (they don't compete with each other as they are scheduled at seperate times). Trying to keep things clean.

Where do I look next to fix this?

Thank you very much for any ideas & help anyone can give!

Advertisements

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.