Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Icons doing weird thing.

• Please log in to reply

Elvenwarrior2001

Elvenwarrior2001

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Hi guys. I'm back again. lol While this issue isn't something that affects my computer in a catostaphically negative way, it is a tad on the annoying side.

Yesterday a program (GameSpy Arcade 2.0, a program used to play multiplayer games online) froze up and closed down while I was running it. While this isn't unusual on Windows XP (or any OS really), my most of the icons on my desktop (and some on my startup menu) went blank. Reboot didn't help much and I'm wondering if we have some kind of quick fix for this or any fix at all.

(When I right-click and look under properties the icon shows itself as it should there, it just doesn't show on the desktop.)

If you guys have any ideas, please share them with me. Thanx. (And if you have any idea WHY it happened that would be welcome too. But I'd settle for just a fix of course. <_<

Elven

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,504 posts
Just refresh the icon cache by deleting the IconCache.db file from your profile directory (usually /Documents and Settings/Username/Local Settings/Application Data). It will be automatically recreated.

Elvenwarrior2001

Elvenwarrior2001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Alright, I deleted the IconCache and rebooted, and on startup all the icons loaded themselves back to normal. Thanx for the help. <_< You guys are great.

Elven