Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

defragment

• Please log in to reply

jw010x8941

jw010x8941

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Attached File  VolumeC.txt   3.85KB   173 downloadsHi,i just defragmented my pc (i'm pc dummy mind) at the end of it said some of the files could not be defragmented??These were the files what do i do now please help

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Most the files in your list are important system files. And will not be defragmented, this is normal.

drljspr

drljspr

• Pip
  • 9 posts
There are two programs that are free on the net, one is called (buzzsaw.exe), that defrags your harddrive when ever you are not using it, ie press a key it stops, mouse ect. Another program out there named (pagedefrag.exe). This one takes care of system files at bootup. These programs have been safe for me. I have used the two for several years. But such as everthing else, backup your hard drive to insure. AS you make important changes. Backup!

drljspr

Novell

Novell

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Attached File  VolumeC.txt   3.85KB   173 downloadsHi,i just defragmented my pc (i'm pc dummy mind) at the end of it said some of the files could not be defragmented??These were the files what do i do now please help

View Post

You can download a third party defrag trialware that lets you defrag the master file table and page file before windows open them. A third party defrag program will run a lot faster and efficient than the built-in defrag program.

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
You could also download PageDefrag (freeware), which defrags a selected system files including the pagefile, the eventlogs, etc..

Novell

Novell

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

You could also download PageDefrag (freeware), which defrags a selected system files including the pagefile, the eventlogs, etc..

View Post

I wonder how it can defrag the pagefile and evenlogs when they are open?

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
PageDefrag defrags at boot-time before windows is fully loaded.
Open PageDefrag, choose the "Defrag. at next boot option", press Ok.
Rebot your system.