Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Install Off-2000 SP-3 without CD

• Please log in to reply

johnbfdma

johnbfdma

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I have a PC running Windows 98 with Office 2000 Standard SP-1 installed. I want to install SP-3, but I need the origional CD to complete the install via Office Update.

I have the box, the manual, the CD case (with the product key) but the CD is MISSING! (Kids......Grrrrrrr)

I have poked around the Office web site and it seems that imay be possible to do "Full-File" patch without the origional CD, but perhaps only on an XP system.

I tried anyway using the MSP files extracted from 02ksp3a.exe and OHotfix.exe. No changes were made to the Ohotfix.ini file. It didn't work. I don't know if I'm just out of luck, didn't do the proceedure correctly or whether I need to modify ohotfix.ini.

I also tried to install Windows Installer 2.0 (which the instructions say is required) and it came back with a message that it was already installed.

Since I don't have the source CD, I REALLY don't want to screw up the existing installation.

Any suggestions?

Advertisements

Twism

Twism

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Alas, there is not much you can do. Microsoft is notorious for changing source and file extention criteria for each release and thus you would need the current release to be able to access the current file formats.

There is nothing you are doing wrong, there are restrictions within the systen itself that restricts you installing the advanced ( as opposed to the OS you have ) package you wish. The better bet would be to install the version recommended for your OS and version and updating accordingly. Alternatively, you could update your OS. Either case may be difficult depending on which situation you are in. Ofcourse, more help would be available if you could provide us with more info.

If you are runnign it on a home PC there are countless possibilities. I am new to this forum myself so I am not sure as to what I am allowed to say and post BUT, there are always ulterior ways to fix a problem. P2P is wonderful. Mail me if you would like more info on locations and methods regarding upgrades and updates without the problems you are experiencing.

[To mess up a Linux box you have to work at it, to mess upi a windows box you have to just work on it]

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
During a download of an Office Update, decided to polish the disc, it snapped, called Microsoft, told them, they replaced it with a complete set of discs of a better version of Office for 17 GBP (32 USD)