Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Update does not work HJT Log attached

• Please log in to reply

jrauh

jrauh

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I attempt to run windows update (I have Windows 2000) from my start menu and when the website comes up I first get a message "Checking if your computer has the latest version of Windows Updating software for use with website". Then I receive a popup saying it can not download file wuweb.dll. The file is in the path it tried to download from and when I try to force it I continually get the error.

I then tried to do windows update while on microsoft.com. I then get an error code 0x8ddd0011. On the microsoft website it says it needs to download an activeX control but I am never prompted for it there.

Prior to this occurring about a month ago my computer had an error installing windows update KB891861 from the windows update screen. I posted on here and someone recommended I download the file from the website which I did. When I tried to install the patch I received an error that file kernel32.dll was being used. Someone then recommended I install the patch in safe mode which I did. It then installed successfully and at that time windows update seemed to be still working. However, I know Microsoft has released several critical updates since then and I have never been notified automatically that they needed to be installed as I was always before.

Prior to me posting this message I followed all the recommended spyware checks.
I ran:
Cleanup!, Ad-Aware, CWShredder, Spybot, and Ewido.
I attempted to run Trend Housecall but it never came up for me to scan after waiting a long while. I also tried to run Panda Activescan and received an error that the activeX could not be installed. I know my IE security settings allow for download of activeX. I also tried to install Trojan Hunter and received some type of error about file c:\winnt\streamblp.dll and it's installation failed.

I now also receive a message during Spybot scan that I have never seen before (I have used Spybot for a long time). The message is a warning about file c:\program files\Spybot - Search Destroy\Includes\Hijackers.sbi and it tells me to check the "include errors log". I'm not sure what this means.

All in all I have some problems!! I contacted my Dell support on the Windowsupdate error and they said it was probably spyware/malware which led me here because this site has been very helpful in the past. All they could recommend was a reimage of the hard drive. That's a last resort hopefully.

Please HELP!! :tazz:

I have attached a Hijackthis log and the log from Ewido.

Thanks,
JRauh

Attached File  hijackthislog.txt   12.92KB   392 downloadsAttached File  Scan_report_20050817.txt   8.89KB   103 downloads

Advertisements