Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Changing my IP address...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Shiz_NET

Shiz_NET

• Pip
  • 5 posts
:tazz: :) :)

I have been trying to change my IP for about 3 months now and just forgot about it because its really not important i would just like to change it. The basic reason being is a banned someone from my IRC channel and he just threatens to ddos me and stuff. He is just all talk but there are other reasons why also.

If you could please help me i would appericate it.

I have a dlink DI-614+ and Windows XP Media Center OS if that matters.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if anyone in an irc channel threatens anny thing like a ddos (an acronym that i'm pretty sure means nothing) i wouldnt' worry....most irc script kiddies don't know enough about the things that they hold most high (hacking, Phreaking, Etc...) to complete full sentences..i wouldn;t worry too much.....plus being that we can't really be sure that YOU aren't the person attempting to obfuscate an IRC ban....we can't really help change the ip.

Shiz_NET

Shiz_NET

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Heh i guess you really cant. I just have had problems with this people before. I couldnt get online for about a week. They send tons and tons a packets to reply to and it just crashes you. Im not a expert about on it what it does but thats my understanding. They make bots that send it some people have in the thousands of bots. They crash my IRC network alot but i guess thats one of prices you pay when you ban people that just dont want to be banned.

Also im not trying to get around a ban they ban by nick name and host name wild cards not ips.

Once again any help would be great.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
depends on the irc server....you can close the ports that they are attacking...but as far as the ip address on your irc server...you would porbably have to talk to your isp as the ip address probably comes from them

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
plus....even if you do change it......they will use the same methods to find it again...you really need to get a firewall and a proxy server

Shiz_NET

Shiz_NET

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I dont have them a problem with a my server being attacked. I have fixed that problem. They still try it but doesnt work.

But still for me personaly i would like to change my IP.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Contact your ISP.. they will be the ones to have to do it and be prepared to give a legitimate reason why.. Getting bombed probably won't work !!

Murray

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
We are not here to help you get around a ban on irc.

Thread closed.

ScHwErV :tazz: