Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

network [bleep]

• Please log in to reply

kelieos

kelieos

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
We recently added a new workstation to the network. It is connected to a 4-port switch wich also connects another computer within the vincinity, and the switch connects to a line that was ran from the dsl router. The other computer connects and works perfectly, if maybe kinda slow, but this one does not. It pings out to the other computers without problem, but when the others have tried to ping it, the request is timed out. I have ran network wizard, and it shows the network places, but wont let me connect to the files or even display the other workgroup computers. Im totaly baffled as to do next. Please help me :tazz:

Advertisements

yardguard

yardguard

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
The computer has same assigned workgroup as others?

Is there a DHCP server or a static IP assigned?

I'm not that familiar with Switches but I assume they're just Hubs with a main feed port...Is that right?

Are you file sharing?

Just some thoughts.

kelieos

kelieos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Um I believe it is the same workgroup, they are all really linked to the same network, it is a small one. A static IP? um... that the same as an ip adress? then yes. We connect through a subnet mask in the dsl router I think. Yes the switch is the hub, I'm assuming that. One of the other computers is file sharing with all the others in the network. So this computer isnt sharing anythink yet but it needs to be able to recieve those other shared folders and files.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
to find out if it's in the same work group, right click on my computer > properties > computer name.

to find out if it is a static or dhcp assigned ip address right click on m network places > properties > rightclick on your network connection > properties > click on tcp/ip in the little window and click properties, if there is an ip showing up there then it is staticly assigned (which you would have had to do yourself) if the boxes to auto detect the ip are checked then it's being assigned dynamically.

on one of the machines that is working open a command prompt and type ipconfig /all
then on the one that isnt working do the same thing

compare the information in the two computers. the only thing that should be different is the last set in the ip. such as: computer that is working ip - 192.123.123.2 then the other ip should be 192.123.123.something other than 2...as long as the first 3 sets of numbers are the same then the ip is in the right range. (thesse ips are for demonstrative purposes not for you to assume that these would be what shows up on your machine)

kelieos

kelieos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
the descriptions from ipconfig/all

not working comp.:
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : domain_not_set.invalid
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel® PRO/100 VE Network Connection

on the working one it says:

Ethernet adapter Network Bridge <Network Bridge> 4:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : domain_not_set.invalid
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : MAC Bridge Mini port

Also the physical adresses are diffrent. so i am really not sure what to do.

Edited by kelieos, 18 August 2005 - 01:14 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the physical addresses should be different....i'm talking about the IP addresses

kelieos

kelieos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
yep those are the same

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
except for the last number right?

kelieos

kelieos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Yes, except for the last number. What about that bit i posted that was diffrent? The stuff about the Mac mini bridge port? is that whats cuasing it to not connect to the network? because it does connect to the internet. so i really dont understand because the network is linked through the dsl router wich also links the computers to the network.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
no...those are the different nic cards....one machine has a different card than the other

Advertisements

kelieos

kelieos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
so any ideas on how to fix it? so it can connect to the shared folders of the other computers on the network?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
are the computers in the same workgroup

kelieos

kelieos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Yep, all the computers were set up to be under the same workgroup name, so i guess they are all part of the same workgroup.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
can you verify that on the computer that isnt working

kelieos

kelieos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
how would i verify that? i know i put in the same name when i was in the network wizard. also under the computer name tab in properties fo rmy computer it names the same workgroup name as the others.

Edited by kelieos, 18 August 2005 - 02:54 PM.