Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Using my stereo for Sound

• Please log in to reply

Virick214

Virick214

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
I was wondering if it is possible to run my computers audio through my stereo system. I have a pretty nice stereo and i don't really want to spend the money to get a nice sound system for my PC.

Edited by Virick214, 17 August 2005 - 03:26 PM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
to do that you need to run a lead from the 'line-out' of the PC soundcard to the 'line-in' socket on your stereo amplifier.

Virick214

Virick214

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
ok thanks...ill work on that

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
To expand on pip22's reply....

The line out socket on your sound card (or you can use the headphone socket on your CDROM drive if you play audio CDs), uses a mini-jack plug.
The input on your amplifier or stereo, will be 2 phono (RCA) sockets.

Therefore, you either need a lead that has 1 mini jack to 2 phono (male) OR use a mini jack to 2 phono (female) adapter, then connect a normal set of phono leads (male to male) to that.

If you do have a stereo with mutiple inputs on it, you can use either the aux/CD/tape input to connect the computer with