Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

3com Mini PCI Controller and Teac DV-25E

• Please log in to reply

pave the planet

pave the planet

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi Folks--

I've had great luck on this site, so I thought I'd try another one on you guys: Months and months ago, on my laptop (Gateway Solo 9300 Pro-E, windows XP pro SP2) my swappable drives, one DVD drive (Teac DV-25E) and the other CD-R/-RW (Matshushita UJDA????) quit working, and around the same time, my computer couldn't find it's modem (3Com Mini PCI v.90).

What gives?

I've scoured driver-providing websites for both, googled 'till my eyes are bloodshot, and because Gateway doesn't really think I should be running XP on this computer, they're not writing drivers or patches. AAcK! What did I do when I upgraded?

...It all worked for a while, then nothing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pave the Planet :tazz:

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic: Gateway update
Date: 17th AUG- 2005

Did you UPGRADE the Laptop from WIN9x ?? - If not then from what OS? - How old is Laptop? – Was this an UPGRADE or a FULL INSTALLATION?

And What do you mean by: - “worked for a while”?? – Do you mean for awhile: - after the UPGRADE? - or - for awhile before UPGRADE? (PLUS just how long is awhile?? – Minutes?? - Hours?? - Days?? - Weeks?? - How long?? - Till reboot - 1 reboot –10 reboots??

Not all HARDWARE and/or SOFTWARE is/are compatible to both WIN9x & to WIN2K. The Manufacturers usually don’t spend the time & effort to support Drivers for both. They can just barely get it correct for 1 OS.

Your 1st seven posts were dealing with [MALWARE REMOVAL]. Was this a different Computer??? - Maybe Laptop is infected also?? OR is that the reason for UPGRADE??

I suggest you get it checked out 1st – And did you discover how the computer that was infected – became infected & did you fix the ROOT CAUSE??? Looks as if you have Norton Firewall – But I cannot tell if it is enabled or not-

You can go to Link below – to test your PC on the Internet :

http://www.grc.com

(1) - Run Shields UP test for 1056 Ports to test your PC/s for any OPEN PORTS
(2) – Use the Utility: [SHOOT THE MESSENGER] to close that door also

Jack123

pave the planet

pave the planet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi Jack--

It was an upgrade, from windows 98 and the "while" of which I wrote was three to six months of regular use, many reboots and successful uses. And I follow the logic of writing drivers for only certain OSs, but am still wondering why it worked for so long.

And the Malware removal was for a desktop machine at work; on this laptop I've done all the scanning that is required for the HiJack this Log posting, but honestly, I don't see anything. I'll post them in a few minutes in the Malware Removal section, but highly doubt that's the issue, because it seems, except for these longstanding issues, to be working fine.

As soon as I get to a WAP I'll go to grc.com and check for open ports.

Thanks for your time,
Paver

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
OK - The Drive & OS Issue was mentioned only because I was not clear as to when "The awhile" applied: before UPDATE or after.

Drives - Scanners & printers are often not updated to new OS - The MFG would rather sell new device than put $$ into OLD.

Any relation to problem & time of SP1 & SP2 Updates?

New drivers should be obtained from MFG of device - Support Web Page?

Also - What I/O Connection is used for these devices? Maybe BIOS settings got "Bumped"

Just tossing more ideas out

Usually do not work this way - - - - without an Outline to follow – Usually if I ask enough questions – I end up asking the right one – and the user does the “FIXING” – I just do the “steering”

And most often the Problem begins/starts – right after an UPDATE or UPGRADE or New Installation CONFLICT.

Just trying to JOG MEMORY – I try to keep a log – every day – on EVENTS .

Jack123

pave the planet

pave the planet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi Jack--

I went to grp.com and did the 1056 port scan, and nothing was open, but not everything was stealthed, as below. I don't think it had much to do with SP1/2 because I'd waited so long to upgrade to XP that I went more or less to SP2.

Could you tell me more about the BIOS settings being "bumped"? I'm not really sure what that means. The Modem's crying out for a PCI Simple Communications Controller (Simple=Basic?)

And again, the manufacturer's websites were useless. 3com and Teac seem to have abandoned XP and I. My own fault, I guess. Could I hope for any backward compatability or someone else with the same problem? Aargh.

And hey, I really appreciate any attention. These are things I would never have been able to think about or check. I need all the help I can get.

Cheers,
Paver

----------------------------------------------------------------------

GRC Port Authority Report created on UTC: 2005-08-19 at 05:29:29

Results from scan of ports: 0-1055

0 Ports Open
103 Ports Closed
953 Ports Stealth
---------------------
1056 Ports Tested

NO PORTS were found to be OPEN.

Ports found to be CLOSED were: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10,
11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18,
19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26,
27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34,
35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42,
43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50,
51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58,
59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66,
67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74,
75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82,
83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90,
91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98,
99, 100, 101, 102, 103

Other than what is listed above, all ports are STEALTH.

TruStealth: FAILED - NOT all tested ports were STEALTH,
- NO unsolicited packets were received,
- A PING REPLY (ICMP Echo) WAS RECEIVED.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic: Updating to WIN2K with older hardware
Date: 19th AUG- 2005

The Hardware configuration for Older Drives & Scanners - are different for pre WIN 2K OS & are not easy to make them work with just a new driver or software patch - Plus they cannot guarantee for every MFG PC - hence the lack of support - the price on most of the newer & higher performing devices are the same or lower - it is not worth the MFG time to deal with.

What is the Interface with these peripherals? - How are they connected?
(That will be the clue as what was changed - [STARTING POINT])

I do not know why they worked for [AWHILE] either - Did they all stop working at the same time? Try to remember what was done with PC just prior to these failures. Like how long was it before you upgraded? – Is it the Same length of time as [AWHILE]?

As far as the Term: [BIOS BEING BUMPED] - For whatever or however BIOS seems to get changed during CERTAIN UPDATES - That is just my personal - [COINING] of this action??

As far as Ports being [CLOSED] or [STEALTH] - I think the GRC gives an explanation. - Basically a [CLOSED] Port CAN be OPENED whereas a [STEALTH] Port cannot be seen/detected - SO there is nothing to - OPEN - How would you prefer to fly over Enemy Territory??

Jack123

pave the planet

pave the planet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi Jack--

Aah...the interface. Right. The modem came built in to the computer, and the DVD drive is in a modular bay, so no USB or PC Card slots to worry about, for example.

That said, there must be some sort of communication protocol governing these things, right? Whoa boy...

Given that I can't remember when I updated what (with much precision or certainty), and that I've tried "rolling back" the drivers, am I out of luck?

I was thinking about something else, too...(perhaps showing my naivete) are there roughly equivalent pieces of hardware out there, for which drivers for XP SP2 were written, but that might work well enough? (Teac wrote XP drivers for the DV-24e, but not my DV-25E, frustratingly).

Thanks again,
Paver

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
This may not be a SP2 / SP1 UPDATE ISSUE - It could just be a M$ Windows Update

Either way - I think that it is a Driver Issue - Strange that it would hit all 3 devices!!

I would think that drivers should still be residing in PC - its a matter of where?

Maybe just try to update drivers & let the ole WIZZARD do his/her thing!!

Just for the Halibut - - - Go Fishing . . . . for ye ole drivers - - -

Jack123

pave the planet

pave the planet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Oh yes, the driver fishing expedition...'till my eyes were unable to focus on faraway objects.

Many thanks for the help, 123. Do you know of any obscure but reliable driver sites?

Paver

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Here are a few

http://forums.windri...isplay.php?f=13

https://support.ati....dge&folderID=27

http://www.driverguide.com/

Jack123