Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

iPods Together

• Please log in to reply

ryans

ryans

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hello,
My daughters have both got iPods, one is a mini and the other is the iPhoto. My question is can both be updated on the same PC(windows) via the same USB port and the same leads, or has everything got to be seperate.

The reason I ask is that the iPhoto keeps freezing and needs to be reset all the time.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

ewanog

ewanog

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Yes, both iPods can be used on the same computer, doesn't matter what generation they are, just dont plug both in at the same time because that will cause mass confusion on your PC.

If your daughters use the same windows/mac login on the computer, then they will have the same songs on their iPods. However, if they don't want the same songs on their iPods, then they will have to update their iPods on different logins.

About the iPhoto freezing, I think that it's just a software problem, and you should try using the iPod utility tool (make sure you have the most up to date version) and reformatting the iPod, that should take care of the problem.

Hope this helps.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
(1) -You would at least need to have seperate DRIVERS for each device - so that will mean that you would have to have 2 seperate iPOD [PC SYNC] Applications - Make seperate [Desktop ICON] for each.

(2) - Did you Install the latest Driver for the [PICTURE] iPOD? Freezing is often related to Driver Conflicts. - USB eliminates a lot of "Serial COM Port Bus" - Resource Problems but not the "Proper Driver".

(3) - Read Handbook/Manual

(4) - Go to Web Page of each - Look at FAQ's & Browse Support Page for Help & Latest Drivers for each device

(5) - If you have [Installation CD] - Browse the CD for Handbook/Manual pdf Files

(6) - As far as sharing the same USB Port - I am not sure? Probably not- AND PROBABLY NOT CONNECTED AT SAME TIME- (Each would require its own appication)

(7) - A solution would be purchase a USB External Powered HUB - to expand the USB Port & then use:

#1 - Port for Mini
#2 - Port Open
#3 - Port Open
#4 - Port for Photo

This way you are only using 1 PC USB Port + You gain 2 additional

You could Label ICON - [USB-1 Mini] & [USB-4 Photo]

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 17 August 2005 - 05:24 PM.

ewanog

ewanog

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

(6) - As far as sharing the same USB Port - I am not sure? Probably not- AND PROBABLY NOT CONNECTED AT SAME TIME-  (Each would require its own appication)

yea i don't know about that. My brother and I both use the same computer and use the same wire for each iPod... never had any problems. We both use the same USB port also.

ryans

ryans

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Many thanks for your replies.
Got to go to work now, will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again

ryans

ryans

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for all the advice.
Both iPods are working OK. No further problems with freezing.